Report a public safety concern

If your concern is urgent or life-threatening, call 911.
If your concern is not urgent, contact the Canadian Firearms Program.

Due to the May 18 and May 30, 2022 announcements from the federal government regarding changes to firearms legislation under Bills C-21 and C-71, there has been an unprecedented number of handgun sales and transfer requests which have resulted in an influx of calls to the Canadian Firearms Program and emails to the Alberta Chief Firearms Office.

We appreciate your patience while we work alongside the Canadian Firearms Program to address the backlog. To initiate a restricted firearms transfer, download and complete the application form RCMP 5492 and submit it by regular mail, or email it to [email protected].

For updates on the proposed regulation changes, see Federal firearms updates.


Alberta’s Chief Firearms Office helps provide licences for a wide range of firearms owners.

Read the options below that best meet your situation.

You risk penalties if you possess a firearm without a valid licence.


A Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) enables a licence holder to possess and use firearms in Canada.

Applicants aged 18 and older may apply for a PAL, or a Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence (RPAL), or both.

Step 1. Pass the safety course

Generally, applicants, including minors, must pass a Canadian Firearms Safety Course.

If you wish to own a restricted firearm, you need to pass the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course.

Step 2. Complete and submit the form

Complete the PAL form for both the PAL and RPAL application.


Non-residents must be 18 or older to use a firearm in Alberta or bring one into Canada.

Step 1. Complete and submit the declaration form

Complete and submit a Non-resident Firearms Declaration form to the Canada Border Services Agency.

Step 2. Receive a temporary licence

If you are granted a temporary (60 day) licence by the Canada Border Services Agency, you can renew this licence before it expires by contacting Alberta's Chief Firearms Office.

Step 3. Apply for a PAL

Learn more about what non-residents need to do who are coming into Alberta with a firearm.


Minors between 12 and 17 years old can apply for a minor’s licence.

Step 1. Pass the safety course

You must pass the Canadian Firearms Safety Course to be eligible for a licence.

Step 2. Fill out the application form and consent letter

Step 3. Interview, if required

Before you can get a minor's licence, Alberta's Chief Firearms Office may interview you or your parent or guardian.


The minor's licence is only valid for non-restricted rifles and shotguns. Licensed minors can use a handgun if they are under the direct and immediate supervision of someone licensed to have a handgun.

Step 4. Apply for a PAL when you turn 18

When you turn 18, you must apply for a PAL.


There are exceptions for children under the age of 12, including Indigenous children, who hunt to sustain themselves and their families.

Contact the Chief Firearms Officer for Alberta to see if you meet the requirements.

Get more information on licences for minors.

Other organizations

A business, museum or other organization needs a firearms business licence to possess, manufacture or sell firearms, ammunition and prohibited items. The licence is only valid for the activities specified, and each separate business location needs a separate licence.

Businesses, museums and other organizations should contact Alberta’s Chief Firearms Office for a licence application form. Conditions may be added at their discretion.


Ammunition may be transferred to a:

  • business or individual with a valid firearms licence
  • public agency (for example, a police force or a government department) with a valid Public Agency Identification Number

For disposal of ammunition, please contact your local police services.

Find more information on business licences.

Sport shooters

To participate in sport shooting at a club or range Canadian residents must have a valid:

Find out which shooting club or range is closest to you by contacting Alberta’s Chief Firearms Office.

Alberta’s Chief Firearms Office can request written confirmation from a shooting club or range about the participation of any current or past member in target practice or target shooting competitions within the previous 5 years.


To acquire firearms (not antiques) for a collection, you must be at least 18 years old and have a PAL for the class or classes of firearms you are collecting.

To collect a restricted or prohibited firearm, you need to know the historical, scientific and technical features of the firearm. Alberta’s Chief Firearms Officer will decide whether you are eligible to collect the firearm when you apply to register it.


Application fees are different for each application and adjust each year. Please review your application to ensure you have enclosed the correct amount. Failing to enclose the correct amount will hold up your application process.

Find out more about Canada's firearms service fees.


Connect with Alberta’s Chief Firearms Office:

Email: [email protected]

Alberta Chief Firearms Office
PO Box 458, Station Main
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 2K1

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.