COVID-19 response: TRA's online services and special notices

Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) encourages taxpayers to use electronic means (for example: Netfile, TRACS, secure email, electronic payment, etc.) to submit payments, registrations, applications, returns, claims, objections, waivers and appeals.

In order to reduce the necessity for taxpayers and tax preparers to meet in person, TRA will recognize electronic signatures. To add a digital signature, the form must first be downloaded or opened as a PDF.

For more information, see TRA online services.

New TEFU exemption certificates with no expiry date

As part of the Government of Alberta’s commitment to reduce red tape, Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) is issuing new Tax Exempt Fuel User (TEFU) exemption certificates to all current registrants before June 15, 2020.


Marked fuel is diesel or gasoline fuel coloured to a concentration of 14 parts per million of red dye. This fuel is partially tax exempt to eligible consumers.

The fuel tax rate on marked fuel is 4 cents per litre, which is 9 cents per litre lower than the 13 cents per litre on clear fuel.

All fuel sellers, except full direct remitters, must purchase marked fuel including fuel tax.

Who can purchase marked fuel

In Alberta, marked fuel may be purchased by:

PDF form issues

Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:

  1. Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
  2. Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.

How to apply

Complete the following steps if you are applying to:

  • sell marked fuel
  • acquire marked fuel for export
  • dye fuel

For detailed step by step instructions, read:

Step 1. Create or log in to your MyAlberta Digital ID account

  • Create a basic account or log in to MyAlberta.

Log in to MyAlberta Digital ID

Step 2: Sign in and select Online Registration

  • After you create a MyAlberta Digital ID account, login to TRACS. You will need to sign in using your MyAlberta Digital Identity user name and password. Once you log in, you will be redirected to TRACS.
  • Select 'Online Registration'.
  • Select ‘Fuel Tax’ from the Program Name menu.

Step 3. Complete and submit the online registration form

  • After you submit your registration, you will receive a pending status notification and a reference number. TRA may need to contact you for further information.

Step 4: Once approved

  • You will be notified by email that your approval letter is available in your TRACS account.

Report marked fuel transactions

If approved, an entity is required to electronically file all consumer sales transactions and all marked fuel movements (inventory, imports, acquisitions, dispositions and exports) on a monthly basis.

Step 1: Submit your consumer sales transactions

  • Online: login to your TRACS account and select “Create AFFB/TEFU Sales” from the menu. Enter the sale details and select “Submit” when all of the transactions have been entered.
  • SFTP: contact TRA to set up electronic filing using Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP), a method of transferring files between two remote systems. This method of filing is beneficial if you have large volumes of sales records to report each month and data entry is not feasible.

Step 2:  Submit all marked fuel movements

  • Online: login to your TRACS account and select either “Create Acquisitions and Imports” or “Create Dispositions and Exports” from the menu. Enter fuel movement transaction details of the fuel movement and select “Submit’ when done.
  • SFTP: if you have been set up for SFTP for consumer sales transactions, then you can also submit files for inventory, import, acquisition, disposition and transactions. Contact TRA if you are interested in finding out more information about filing using SFTP.

Set up direct deposit

  • Log in to your TRACS account
  • Select 'Manage Direct Deposit'.
  • Enter your banking and contact information and submit.
  • For an instructional video, see TRACS videos.

Eligibility to dye fuel

TRA will consider registering a business to dye clear fuel for the purpose of resale if all of the following criteria are satisfied:

  • The business is in full compliance with all tax filings at the time the application(s) is made (if applicable).
  • Each location where fuel dyeing will occur must be a site:
    • with a permanent storage capacity of at least 500,000 litres (diesel and gas total)
    • that has appropriate security features that prevent or inhibit general public access
    • that is supplied by rail, truck or pipeline
    • where fuel is to be rebranded for further distribution or sold to bulk consumers
  • The dye injector mechanism at each site has appropriate security features.
  • The business agrees to meet monthly reporting requirements, including the reporting of dye concentrate volumes using the Dye Stock Report (AT4984) (PDF, 259 KB) for each site.

Maintain your account in TRACS

TRA Client Self-Service (TRACS) is a secure online system for authorized Tax and Revenue Administration (TRA) clients to conveniently conduct business with TRA. You can do the following tasks in TRACS:

  • confirm receipt and completion of submitted claims
  • view monthly inventory summary and sales summary reports
  • report marked fuel transactions
  • check AFFB/TEFU eligibility
  • view status of prior assessments, financial details and notices of assessment and reassessment
  • access financial information and view account period balances
  • update address and contact information
  • delegate account access to other employees or authorized individuals

For more details, instructional videos and to log in to your TRACS account, see TRACS information.

How to authorize a representative

An individual with proper authorization for the business may consent to the release of confidential information about account(s) with TRA to a specific firm and/or individual.

An individual with proper authorization for the business includes a(n):

  • owner
  • partner of a partnership
  • corporate director
  • trustee of an estate
  • individual with delegated authority

Step 1: Fill out the Alberta Consent Form

Step 2: Submit the consent form

  • Submit your completed consent form to TRA.

Step 3: Representative receives PIN (only for TRACS access)

  • TRA will review the consent form to ensure it is complete.
  • TRA will issue a PIN number to the individual via secure e-mail. TRACS access can only be provided to an individual.

The representative must enter the PIN and account number to access TRACS account. See How to access TRACS for instructions.

Publications, forms and video

Information circulars

These documents discuss procedural matters and administrative policies and practices for programs administered by TRA. They are updated as necessary and a revision number assigned.

Cross-program information circulars

Fuel tax information circulars

Special notices

These documents are used to announce changes to the legislation administered by TRA, or changes to administrative policies and practices carried out by TRA. These notices are time-specific, and meant to be transitory in nature. The information may eventually be incorporated into other publications, such as information circulars or web content.

Fuel tax special notices


If you have trouble opening fillable PDF forms, see the form instructions.


Sign up for updates

Subscribe to TRA's publications and announcements


Submit forms

Complete your forms and email or fax them to:

Email: [email protected]
Fax: 780-427-0348

Connect with Tax and Revenue Administration

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-3044
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.