The Film and Video Classification Act, 2009 and the Film and Video Classification Regulation are the legislation that defines the Government of Alberta’s role in film classification, exhibition and retail video in Alberta.
This act also describes the obligations of theatres and other venues that charge admission to the public to watch a movie on their screen(s).
Obligations of theatre and venue managers
Theatres and other movie venues, otherwise known as exhibitors:
- are required by Alberta law to display accurate Alberta classifications at point of sale and in all film listings
- must enforce the age and accompaniment restrictions assigned by Alberta Film Classification
- work with Alberta Film Classification to inform the public about Alberta's film ratings system
- are encouraged to direct all ratings concerns from patrons to Alberta Film Classification
Promotional materials that inform patrons about Alberta's film ratings system are available from Alberta Film Classification on request, or can be downloaded below.
Any person or corporation that is found guilty of violating the Film and Video Classification Act, 2009 is subject to the following penalties:
- a person may be fined a maximum of $10,000 or imprisonment for a term of not more than 2 years less a day, or both
- a corporation may be fined a maximum of not more than $100,000. Where a corporation is convicted of an offence, any officer, director or agent of the corporation who directed, participated in, or complied in the commission of the offence, is guilty of an offence and liable to the same penalty
Enforcement of the Act is carried out on a by-complaint basis. Once an initial complaint is received, a system of escalating processes will be used to address complaints.
Patrons who wish to make a complaint about a violation of the Act may do so by emailing [email protected].
Download Alberta film ratings logos
Download Alberta Film Classification logos for age-based ratings for display in movie theatres and venues as required.
Download Alberta film ratings posters
Download official Alberta Film Classification posters for age-based ratings for display in venues as required.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.