Bill 2: An Act to Make Alberta Open for Business has passed and includes changes to general holiday pay, overtime and labour relations. Changes to general holiday pay and overtime take effect September 1.
- The overtime rule for operating a taxi is 10 hours per day or 60 hours per week, whichever is greater.
Who’s considered a taxi cab driver?
A taxi cab driver is a person employed to:
- drive an automobile that is driven for hire to a traveler’s destination
- provide a service other than that of a fixed route
- charge for service using any combination of a metered, time or distance based fare calculation
The following are not taxi cab drivers for the purposes of these provisions:
- drivers who:
- operate a bus
- operate on a scheduled route
- transfer patients
- are not for general hire
- are chauffeurs and not available to the public or do not charge a fare
- other employees in the taxi cab industry
Hours of work and pay
The standard overtime rule of hours worked in excess of 8 hours a day or 44 hours a week, whichever is greater, doesn’t apply to taxi cab drivers.
Exceptions to the minimum standards for regular and overtime hours
Employees must receive overtime:
- for hours worked in excess of 10 hours a day or 60 hours a week, whichever is greater
- at a rate of at least 1.5 times the regular rate of pay, or banked time off with pay at a rate of at least 1.5 times, for all overtime hours worked
What additional Employment Standards apply?
In addition to the special provisions outlined above, all other minimum standards for employment apply to taxi cab drivers. Additional information on these rules can be found at:
- Averaging agreements
- Breaks and days of rest
- Deductions from earnings
- General holidays
- Job-protected leaves
- Minimum wage
- Overtime hours and pay with the exception of what’s considered overtime hours listed above
- Payment of earnings
- Termination of employment
- Youth employment
How the law applies
Part 3, Division 7 of the Employment Standards Regulation outlines the provisions for taxi cab industry employees.
Disclaimer: In the event of any discrepancy between this information and Alberta Employment Standards legislation, the legislation is considered correct.