- The overtime rule for employees of irrigation districts is 9 hours per day or 54 hours per week, whichever is greater. This rule only applies from April 1 to October 31 each year. For the other months of the year, standard overtime rules apply.
Who’s considered an irrigation district employee?
An irrigation district employee is someone who is employed by an irrigation district, and does not primarily work in an office.
For these provisions to be applicable to an employee they must meet the definition above and:
- be employed full time
- paid wages on a monthly basis
Hours of work and pay
The standard overtime rule of hours worked in excess of 8 hours a day or 44 hours a week, whichever is greater, doesn’t apply to employees of irrigation districts.
Exceptions to the minimum standards for regular and overtime hours
Employees must receive overtime:
- for hours worked in excess of 9 hours a day or 54 hours a week, whichever is greater
Regular rules for overtime pay rates and banked overtime apply.
What additional Employment Standards apply?
In addition to the special provisions outlined above, all other minimum standards for employment apply to irrigation district employees. Additional information on these rules can be found at:
- Averaging arrangements
- Breaks and days of rest
- Deductions from earnings
- General holidays
- Job-protected leaves
- Minimum wage
- Overtime hours and pay with the exception of what’s considered overtime hours listed above
- Payment of earnings
- Termination of employment
- Youth employment
How the law applies
Part 3, Division 4 of the Employment Standards Regulation outlines the provisions for irrigation district employees.
Disclaimer: In the event of any discrepancy between this information and Alberta Employment Standards legislation, the legislation is considered correct.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.