Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
- Alberta has the fourth-largest proven oil reserves in the world – 9% of total proven global oil reserves.
- Approximately 99% of these reserves are in the oil sands.
- Between 2011 and 2019, overall average oil sands emission intensity in Alberta decreased by 22%.
- With additional technology, GHG intensity can be further reduced by up to 20% by 2030.
- Canada is in the top five of natural gas producers in the world – two-thirds of which come from Alberta.
- Alberta’s abundant natural gas reserves can meet Canadian demand for the next 200 years.
- manages and develops policy for the development of province's energy and mineral resources
- grants industry the right to explore for and develop energy and mineral resources
- establishes, administers and monitors the effectiveness of fiscal and royalty systems
- encourages additional investment that creates jobs and economic prosperity
- advocates at home and around the world for greater market access
Energy’s mission is to assure sustained prosperity in the interests of Albertans through the stewardship of energy and mineral resource systems, responsible development and wise use of energy.
The development and deployment of a hydrogen economy will leverage our competitive advantages to build clean energy solutions and develop export capacity.
This grant program is attracting investment to Alberta’s petrochemical sector, creating jobs and helping diversify the economy.
Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage (CCUS)
Companies are beginning to explore how to develop environmentally safe carbon storage hubs to reduce emissions.
Environmental Social Governance (ESG) Secretariat
Alberta’s ESG Secretariat is positioning the province to be a leader for clean, secure and ethically sourced energy.
Alberta’s new policy and regulatory framework establishes a clear path forward for geothermal projects.
- Jan 25, 2023
Alberta’s government is seeking input on developing hydrogen fuelling stations to help support future low-emission transportation needs.
- Dec 21, 2022
Alberta’s natural gas rate remains stable, while electricity rebates and a price ceiling help shield Albertans from high utility prices this winter.
- Dec 21, 2022
Modernized regulations will help establish Alberta as a leader in the minerals sector.