Minister Pete Guthrie
Pete Guthrie was sworn in as Minister of Energy on October 24, 2022.
The Premier's mandate letter to the Minister of Energy outlines the objectives and priorities of the work they will focus on in their role.
The Site Rehabilitation Program provides grants to oil field service contractors for abandonment and reclamation work on oil and gas sites.
A new Liability Management Framework will enable industry to better-manage the clean up of oil and gas wells, pipelines and facilities from exploration to post-closure.
- Alberta has the fourth-largest proven oil reserves in the world – 9% of total proven global oil reserves.
- Approximately 99% of these reserves are in the oil sands.
- Between 2011 and 2019, overall average oil sands emission intensity in Alberta decreased by 22%.
- With additional technology, GHG intensity can be further reduced by up to 20% by 2030.
- Canada is in the top five of natural gas producers in the world – two-thirds of which come from Alberta.
- Alberta’s abundant natural gas reserves can meet Canadian demand for the next 200 years.
- manages and develops policy for the development of province's energy and mineral resources
- grants industry the right to explore for and develop energy and mineral resources
- establishes, administers and monitors the effectiveness of fiscal and royalty systems
- encourages additional investment that creates jobs and economic prosperity
- advocates at home and around the world for greater market access
Energy’s mission is to assure sustained prosperity in the interests of Albertans through the stewardship of energy and mineral resource systems, responsible development and wise use of energy.
- Alberta budget
- List of public agencies
- Media inquiries
- Personal information bank directories
- Alberta Energy online services
The development and deployment of a hydrogen economy will leverage our competitive advantages to build clean energy solutions and develop export capacity.
Alberta Petrochemicals Incentive Program
This grant program is attracting investment to Alberta’s petrochemical sector, creating jobs and helping diversify the economy.
Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage (CCUS)
Companies are beginning to explore how to develop environmentally safe carbon storage hubs to reduce emissions.
Environmental Social Governance (ESG) Secretariat
Alberta’s ESG Secretariat is positioning the province to be a leader for clean, secure and ethically sourced energy.
Alberta’s new policy and regulatory framework establishes a clear path forward for geothermal projects.
- Mar 30, 2023
Energy Minister Pete Guthrie issued the following statement on Alberta’s March energy sector update:
- Mar 20, 2023
Alberta’s government is issuing a new directive to the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) to require oil and gas companies to pay taxes owed to municipalities.
- Mar 04, 2023
Energy Minister Pete Guthrie will attend the CERAWeek conference to promote Alberta’s role in energy security, achieving emissions reductions and affordability.