- Alberta has the fourth-largest proven oil reserves in the world – 9% of total proven global oil reserves.
- Approximately 99% of these reserves are in the oil sands.
- Between 2011 and 2019, overall average oil sands emission intensity in Alberta decreased by 22%.
- With additional technology, GHG intensity can be further reduced by up to 20% by 2030.
- Canada is in the top five of natural gas producers in the world – two-thirds of which come from Alberta.
- Alberta’s abundant natural gas reserves can meet Canadian demand for the next 200 years.
- manages and develops policy for the development of province's energy and mineral resources
- grants industry the right to explore for and develop energy and mineral resources
- establishes, administers and monitors the effectiveness of fiscal and royalty systems
- encourages additional investment that creates jobs and economic prosperity
- advocates at home and around the world for greater market access
Energy’s mission is to assure sustained prosperity in the interests of Albertans through the stewardship of energy and mineral resource systems, responsible development and wise use of energy.
The development and deployment of a hydrogen economy will leverage our competitive advantages to build clean energy solutions and develop export capacity.
This grant program is attracting investment to Alberta’s petrochemical sector, creating jobs and helping diversify the economy.
Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage (CCUS)
Companies are beginning to explore how to develop environmentally safe carbon storage hubs to reduce emissions.
Environmental Social Governance (ESG) Secretariat
Alberta’s ESG Secretariat is positioning the province to be a leader for clean, secure and ethically sourced energy.
Alberta’s new policy and regulatory framework establishes a clear path forward for geothermal projects.
- Nov 10, 2022
Alberta’s government is awarding more than $32 million in funding support from the Alberta Petrochemical Incentive Program (APIP) for Dow Canada’s expansion of its Fort Saskatchewan ethylene production facility.
- Nov 08, 2022
Alberta’s government is awarding more than $161 million in funding from the Alberta Petrochemical Incentive Program (APIP) to grow Alberta’s clean hydrogen sector.
- Oct 25, 2022
As natural gas prices remain stable, Alberta’s rebate program stands ready to protect families and businesses.