French-language content for this topic on Alberta.ca is currently being developed. Information will remain available on the Alberta Education website until this is complete.
La page correspondante en français est en cours de préparation sur le site Web Alberta.ca. Pendant cette période de transition, l'information qu'elle contient demeure disponible sur le site Web du ministère de l'Éducation.
The Daily Physical Activity initiative is based on the following beliefs:
- healthy students learn better
- students’ physical activity levels need to increase
- teachers, schools and school authorities can support students in developing positive habits for a healthy, active lifestyle
School authorities will ensure all students in grades 1 to 9 are physically active for at least 30 minutes each day through activities organized by the school.
Daily physical activities should:
- vary in form and intensity
- take into account each student's ability
- consider resources available within the school and community
- allow for student choice
School authorities can offer daily physical activity:
- through instructional hours, non-instructional hours, or a combination of both
- during the day in a 30-minute period or blocks of time that add up to 30 minutes a day
- within physical education classes or other subject areas
- Guide to Education
- Daily Physical Activity Survey Report
- Daily Physical Activity Handbook
- Objective Measures of Physical Activity Levels of Alberta Children and Youth
- Daily Physical Activity for Children and Youth: Literature Review
- Ever Active Schools
- Alberta Regional Professional Development Consortia