COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Bring the needed items
- one copy of your court documents
- a copy of your Affidavit of Service (if you filed one)
- a pen and paper to take notes
Wear proper clothing
- dress like you’re going to a job interview
- don’t wear a hat
- arrive half an hour early to your court appearance
- give yourself extra time, especially if you need to file documents with a court clerk
- check in with the court clerk before court begins
Go through security
- enter the courthouse through its airport-like security station, which is manned by sheriffs
Note: Sheriffs can assist you if you’re concerned about your safety.
Find your courtroom
- check that your name is on the electronic display or the paper outside the courtroom
- speak to a court clerk if you aren’t sure which courtroom you’re in
Follow basic courtroom process
- when your matter is called, go to the front of the courtroom and sit at one of the tables
- the other party or their lawyer will sit on the other side of the courtroom
- when you talk to the judge, stand at the podium in the middle of the room
- if you don’t understand what the judge has ordered, ask them to explain
Show respect in the courtroom
- in the Provincial Court, call the judge “Your Honour”
- in the Court of Queen’s Bench or Court of Appeal:
- if the judge is a woman, call her “My Lady,” “Madam Justice” or “Ma’am”
- if the judge is a man, call him “My Lord,” “Mr. Justice” or “Sir”
- don’t argue with the judge
- don’t talk during a session
- be respectful to the other party and others in the courtroom
- turn off all electronic devices
- don’t bring children
- don’t eat or chew gum
- enter or leave quietly during a session
Note: A sheriff will remove anyone from the courtroom who’s aggressive toward or threatens others. A session may still be recorded after the judge leaves the courtroom.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.