Tuition fees

There is a range of tuition fees for international students in Alberta:

  • for one semester (5 months): from $4,975 to $7,000 Canadian dollars
  • for a full school year (10 months): from $9,500 to $12,500 Canadian dollars

Tuition fees for summer programs vary according to the length and intensity of the program.

For more precise information on tuition fees, contact the school authorities directly.

Do tuition fees include everything?

Not necessarily — some school authorities may charge additional fees items such as:

  • book rentals
  • transportation
  • extracurricular activities

How to apply

In Alberta, schools are grouped into school authorities. Once you decide where in Alberta you would like to study, you must apply directly to the school authority of your choice. School authorities are responsible for accepting applications and admitting international students.

Step 1. Research schools and programs and apply to the school authority

The application process varies from one school authority to another, but generally students are required to submit the following:

  • application fee (varies with each school authority but generally not refundable)
  • a letter of reference from your current principal
  • your most recent report card
  • a copy of your academic record (transcripts) for the last two years
  • custodianship documents

To find a school authority, view the information at Where to study and live.

Step 2. Pay your tuition fees

  • Once your application is accepted by the school authority, you will be advised to pay your tuition fees. Once payment is received they will issue you a letter of acceptance.

Step 3. Apply for your study permit

  • You will need to include your letter of acceptance as part of your study permit application.
  • Study permits are issued by the Government of Canada. Please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most up-to-date information on Study Permit and Visa requirements for international students.

Step 4. Apply for health care

  • All students require health care coverage.
  • Alberta Health Care is available free of charge to international students who have a valid study permit and who are in Alberta for at least one year. Alberta health care covers the basic health expenses. It does not cover dental treatment or prescription drugs.
  • Most school authorities will also require private health care coverage for their international students. Please contact your local school authority to find out about its specific health care coverage requirements and policies.

Step 5. Travel to Alberta

  • Book your travel to Alberta
  • Arrange transportation to/from the airport. Check with your school authority, as sometimes they can arrange for someone to pick you up when your flight lands in Alberta.
  • Be sure to pack for the weather


Connect with International Education Services:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-2035
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]

Main Floor, 44 Capital Boulevard
10044 108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 5E6