You can apply to change your Parenting Order if you want to travel with your child but the other parent won’t give you signed consent.

How to apply if the order is from Alberta

Step 1. Fill out the forms

Speak with a court forms information coordinator if you need assistance.

Step 2. File your order

Do this at the same court, in the same location, where you’ve either:

  • already been to court with the other party
  • started any court action that hasn’t gone to court

If you haven’t done either of these things, file your claim at any court in Alberta.

Note: If you don’t come to court, the judge may make an order in your absence.

How to apply if an order is from outside Alberta

Make an application to have your order registered and enforced in Alberta by following these steps.

Step 1. Get a certified copy of the original order

Step 2. Fill out the forms

In the Originating Application Under the Extra-provincial Enforcement of Custody Orders Act info pack (144 KB), fill out these forms:

  • Originating Application
  • Affidavit
  • Affidavit of Service

Step 3. File your claim

Bring the forms and certified copy to any court in Alberta to file your claim.


Was this page helpful?

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.