You can apply to change your Custody and Access Order if you want travel with your child but the other guardian won’t give you signed consent.

How to apply if an order is from Alberta

Step 1. Prepare the forms

In the Application to Change Custody and Access info pack (135 KB), fill out these forms:

  • Family Law Application to Change Custody and Access
  • Affidavit – Changing Custody and Access
  • Affidavit of Personal Service

Speak with a court forms information coordinator if you need assistance.

Step 2. File your order

Do this at the same court, in the same location, where you’ve either:

  • already been to court with the other party
  • started any court action that hasn’t gone to court

If you haven’t done either of these things, file your claim at any court in Alberta.

Note: If you don’t come to court, the judge may make an order in your absence.

How to apply if an order is from outside Alberta

Make an application to have your order registered and enforced in Alberta by following these steps.

Step 1. Get a certified copy of the original order

Step 2. Fill out the forms

In the Originating Application Under the Extra-provincial Enforcement of Custody Orders Act info pack (144 KB), fill out these forms:

  • Originating Application
  • Affidavit
  • Affidavit of Service

Step 3. File your claim

Bring the forms and certified copy to any court in Alberta to file your claim.