Judicial clerks support all 3 of Alberta’s courts: Alberta Court of Justice, Court of King’s Bench of Alberta and Court of Appeal of Alberta.
Urban clerks are based in either Edmonton or Calgary. They can develop specialized knowledge in one or more areas of law, including criminal, civil, family, estates, youth and traffic.
Regional clerks are located across the province and often travel between circuit court locations. They gain a range of skills in diverse areas of law, including criminal, bail court, civil, family, estates, youth, and traffic.
Key responsibilities include:
- preparing the courtroom before proceedings
- opening court and swearing in participants
- operating audio recording system and videoconferencing equipment
- ensuring accurate records of the court are captured and maintained
- preparing and issuing orders of the court
- managing exhibits in the courtroom (for example, money, documents, photographs and weapons)
- liaising with judiciary, lawyers, police and the general public