Court of Appeal
The Court of Appeal is the only appeals court in Alberta.
It hears civil and criminal appeals for:
- most Court of Queen's Bench decisions
- some Provincial Court decisions
- some administrative tribunals’ decisions
Court of Queen's Bench
The Court of Queen's Bench is the superior trial court of Alberta.
- civil trials, including all claims over $50,000
- criminal trials for serious Criminal Code offences
- jury trials
- appeals of Provincial Court decisions
The Court also:
- deals with foreclosure, bankruptcy, insolvency and other civil matters
- oversees the probate – official proving – and administration of estate matters
The Provincial Court is the main entry point into Alberta’s court system.
It deals with civil claims up to $50,000 and the majority of:
- adult criminal cases
- youth criminal cases
- family matters – except divorce and matrimonial property
- traffic offences