COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
COVID-19 response: Courts
Do not enter a courthouse if you:
- have any COVID-19 symptoms
- had contact with a person who recently tested positive for COVID-19
At the courthouses
- They are helping keep Albertans safe by following Government of Alberta guidelines.
- Attendance is limited to people with court business.
- You may be asked some questions like:
- Are you required to be at the courthouse?
- Are you experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms?
- Have you been asked to self-isolate by Alberta Health Services?
Inside the courthouses
- Wear a mask.
- Masks will be available at courthouses starting July 6.
- Read the directions posted around the courthouse.
- Watch for the floor markers.
- Do not sit in blocked-off seating.
- Use the marked entrance and exit doors.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Hand sanitizing stations are available.
Find out more
- Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench information
- Provincial Court of Alberta information
- Alberta Court of Appeal information
For more information about Alberta’s COVID-19 response, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.
Court of Appeal
The Court of Appeal is the only appeals court in Alberta.
It hears civil and criminal appeals for:
- most Court of Queen's Bench decisions
- some Provincial Court decisions
- some administrative tribunals’ decisions
Court of Queen's Bench
The Court of Queen's Bench is the superior trial court of Alberta.
- civil trials, including all claims over $50,000
- criminal trials for serious Criminal Code offences
- jury trials
- appeals of Provincial Court decisions
The Court also:
- deals with foreclosure, bankruptcy, insolvency and other civil matters
- oversees the probate – official proving – and administration of estate matters
The Provincial Court is the main entry point into Alberta’s court system.
It deals with civil claims up to $50,000 and the majority of:
- adult criminal cases
- youth criminal cases
- family matters – except divorce and matrimonial property
- traffic offences
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.