Court of Appeal
The Court of Appeal is the only appeals court in Alberta.
It hears civil and criminal appeals for:
- most Court of King's Bench decisions
- some Provincial Court decisions
- some administrative tribunals’ decisions
Court of King's Bench
The Court of King's Bench is the superior trial court of Alberta.
- civil trials, including all claims over $50,000
- criminal trials for serious Criminal Code offences
- jury trials
- appeals of Provincial Court decisions
The Court also:
- deals with foreclosure, bankruptcy, insolvency and other civil matters
- oversees the probate – official proving – and administration of estate matters
The Provincial Court is the main entry point into Alberta’s court system.
It deals with civil claims up to $50,000 and the majority of:
- adult criminal cases
- youth criminal cases
- family matters – except divorce and matrimonial property
- traffic offences
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.