COVID-19 response: Courts
The Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, the Provincial Court of Alberta and the Alberta Court of Appeal are limiting services to essential and urgent functions.
There are changes at the court because of COVID-19. Read more at:
- Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench information
- Provincial Court of Alberta information
- Alberta Court of Appeal information
For more information about Alberta’s COVID-19 response, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.
Court of Appeal
The Court of Appeal is the only appeals court in Alberta.
It hears civil and criminal appeals for:
- most Court of Queen's Bench decisions
- some Provincial Court decisions
- some administrative tribunals’ decisions
Court of Queen's Bench
The Court of Queen's Bench is the superior trial court of Alberta.
- civil trials, including all claims over $50,000
- criminal trials for serious Criminal Code offences
- jury trials
- appeals of Provincial Court decisions
The Court also:
- deals with foreclosure, bankruptcy, insolvency and other civil matters
- oversees the probate – official proving – and administration of estate matters
The Provincial Court is the main entry point into Alberta’s court system.
It deals with civil claims up to $50,000 and the majority of:
- adult criminal cases
- youth criminal cases
- family matters – except divorce and matrimonial property
- traffic offences