Latest Alberta Activity Index
The AAX was updated on September 28, 2018 to include July 2018 data.
Activity remains steady
- The Alberta Activity Index (AAX) eased for the second month in a row after hitting a record high in May.
- The AAX edged down in July (-0.5% m/m), with the decline in 6 out of 9 indicators.
- Despite the downtick, the AAX remained up 2.4% y/y and 2.9% year-to-date.
- Over the past year, activity has been bolstered by continued strength in the energy sector along with solid gains in business and labour market activity. These have been partly offset by lower household activity.
- However, the AAX remained less than 2% below the May peak.
Chart: Year-over-year change in Alberta Activity Index and Real GDP
(to July 2018)
Alberta Activity Index - data table
The following file is available in the Open Government Portal:
Download: Alberta Activity Index Data Table (January 1981 to July 2018) (Excel, 26 KB)
About the Alberta Activity Index
Developed by Alberta Treasury Board and Finance, the Alberta Activity Index (AAX) is a weighted average of 9 monthly indicators:
- average weekly earnings
- retail trade
- wholesale trade
- manufacturing shipments
- new truck sales
- housing starts
- rigs drilling
- oil production