Current issue date
Alberta Activity Index
AAX retraces some of recent gains
- In May 2019, the Alberta Activity Index (AAX) took a small breather after posting a strong rise in the previous month.
- The AAX eased 0.4% month-over-month, as pullbacks in general business and household activity were moderated by an increase in the labour market and an uptick in the energy sector.
- Despite the monthly decline, the AAX has rebounded 3.7% from the February low, driven by a recovery in general business activity and strengthening labour market.
- The AAX was down 1.6% compared to May of last year, when activity spiked to a post-recession high.
Chart: Year-over-year change in Alberta Activity Index and Real GDP
(to May 2019)
The following file is available in the Open Government Portal:
- Alberta Activity Index Data Table (January 1981 to May 2019)
About the Alberta Activity Index
Developed by Alberta Treasury Board and Finance, the Alberta Activity Index (AAX) is a weighted average of 9 monthly indicators:
- average weekly earnings
- retail trade
- wholesale trade
- manufacturing shipments
- new truck sales
- housing starts
- rigs drilling
- oil production