Moving out of Alberta

If you are leaving Alberta permanently, please cancel your Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage.

Contact the AHCIP office by phone, mail or fax, with your full name, personal health care number and forwarding address.

You can also cancel your AHCIP account in-person at a participating registry agent office.

Do not email personal information.

When you move to another province or territory, you are covered by the AHCIP for the month you leave and for the next 2 months.

You should apply for coverage in your new province or territory as soon as possible as most health insurance plans require a 3-month residency waiting period.


Inform the AHCIP office of a death of a family member who was registered with AHCIP if they died outside of the province.

You will need to provide the personal health number of the person who died. You can submit this information:

Do not email any information.

The personal health card of a deceased person should be discarded or destroyed in a secure manner.


Connect with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan office.

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.