The AgriProfit$ program provides services for farm business managers that help them make better business management decisions.
The Economics Section of Alberta government has worked with crop producers across the province to calculate their crop cost of production since the early 1970s. Field crops include:
- grains and oilseeds
- specialty crops
The AgriProfit$ field crops program provides participating crop producers with:
- a customized business analysis of their farm and farm enterprises to support informed decision making
- an annual crop benchmark report that details the production costs and returns on a per unit basis
- a historical benchmark report – this report enables long-term participants to assess the performance of their own farm over time
The field crops program examines the profitability, financial and production efficiencies to the whole-farm operation, as well as how each enterprise contributes to overall profitability.
Within the customized business analysis report, field crop producers receive a crop economic report. This summarizes all receipts and expenses related to production of a specific crop – such as wheat, canola or hay – in a specific fiscal year. Analysis is performed at field- and crop enterprise levels like commercial crops, forages and pastures.
The collected field- and crop enterprise level information allows producers to examine how each field and crop contribute to the overall net return of the farm. This knowledge can help drive short- and long-term business activities including:
- crop choice
- selection of appropriate crop insurance policies
- reporting to co-owners or landlords in a crop share arrangement
Also, investors and banks need this information to assess lending risks (that is, whether producers have the capacity to pay back their loans).
- Dryland AgriProfits Crop and Forage Benchmark Analysis
- Irrigated AgriProfits Crop and Forage Benchmark Analysis
- Black Soils AgriProfits Crop and Forage Benchmark Analysis
- Brown Soils AgriProfits Crop and Forage Benchmark Analysis
- Dark Brown Soils AgriProfits Crop and Forage Benchmark Analysis
- Grey-wooded Soils AgriProfits Crop and Forage Benchmark Analysis
- Grey-wooded (Peace Region) Soils AgriProfits Crop and Forage Benchmark Analysis
- Hemp Production Costs and Returns
- Economics of Sugar Beet Production in Alberta
Connect with the Economics Section:
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Join the program
Sign up to be part of the program – AgriProfit$ is always open to new participants.
Producer information is collected in strict confidence. Only aggregated, non-identifying information is published.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.