- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Vaccines open now: Everyone 55+. Many 16+ with health conditions.
Ministry responsible: Health
Alberta is working to improve the addiction and mental health system. About 20% of people will experience an addiction or mental health issue in their lifetime. When seeking treatment, it's important they receive safe, quality care and consumer protections.
One of the key actions in the Valuing Mental Health: Next Steps report is to develop regulations and standards for service providers and treatment facilities.
Stronger safeguards and consumer protections will help protect people from physical, mental and financial harm when receiving treatment and services.
Albertans were invited to complete a survey to provide input on ways to better protect people seeking addiction and mental health services, such as:
- potential core standards to ensure a minimum and consistent level of quality care and safety in addiction and mental health facilities
- create standards so important fee and service information is available upfront so people can make informed decisions before signing anything
- possible minimum standards for professionals working in the mental health and addictions field
Under the existing system, there is limited regulation of addiction and mental health services or treatment facilities outside of those provided through Alberta Health Services. This means there is no oversight on:
- who can open residential addiction treatment centres
- what services are provided or if they’re based on science or evidence
- how much patients are charged
The survey closed Sept. 14, 2018. Thank you for your input.
Input received from Albertans helped inform proposed legislation to establish a new professional regulatory college and licensing requirements to protect Albertans receiving mental health services or attending residential addiction treatment facilities.
- Report Back: Addiction and Mental Health Stakeholder Meetings
- Residential addiction treatment provider licensing
For questions about the survey, please email [email protected].