Alberta Transportation has developed processes and documents to help ensure consultants and contractors working on Alberta highway and water management infrastructure projects comply with provincial and federal environmental regulatory requirements.
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
The Terms of Reference for Environmental Evaluation is to be used for both functional planning studies and preliminary design work.
Environmental evaluations must identify and sufficiently detail environmentally sensitive features, including but not limited to:
- fish bearing watercourses
- wetlands and federally/provincially protected species
The level of detail required may vary depending on whether or not the project is on the Provincial Construction Program.
Consultants carrying out functional planning and/or preliminary design activities for Alberta Transportation must follow these processes:
- Terms of Reference for Environmental Management of Highway Infrastructure Projects
- Planning Considerations for Wildlife Passage in Urban Environment
Design and construction
Contractors involved in construction activities for Alberta Transportation must follow these processes as per contract requirements:
- Alberta Transportation Guide to Reclaiming Borrow Excavation Used for Road Construction
- Alberta Transportation Post-disturbance Assessment Guide for Borrow Excavations
- Alberta Transportation Pre-Disturbance Assessment Procedures for Borrow Excavation for Road Construction
- Environmental Construction Operations (ECO) Plan Framework
- Alberta Transportation ECO Plan Exemption List
- The Conversion of Nephelometric Turbidity Units (PDF, 34 KB)
- Alberta Transportation Turbidity Monitoring Specification - March 2017 (PDF, 131 KB)
Navigation Protection Act
The Navigation Protection Act is federal legislation administered by Transport Canada. Alberta Transportation has developed a process to help consultants and contractors comply with this legislation and determine navigational requirements related to their projects:
- Alberta Transportation Drainage Basins and Navigated Streams Map
- AT Bridge Navigation Assessment Form (XLSX, 59 KB)
- Navigated Waters in Alberta 2014 Final Report
The Fisheries Act is federal legislation administered by Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Environment Canada. Alberta Transportation has developed a process to help consultants and contractors comply with this legislation. Contact the Environmental Regulation section for more information.
To connect with the Environmental Regulation section:
2nd Floor, Twin Atria building
4999 98 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3