Crossings belonging to either Canadian National or Canadian Pacific Railway are federally regulated and do not fall under provincial jurisdiction. Railways must follow the Canadian Rail Operating Rules for Engine Whistling Requirements.

Residents wishing to eliminate whistling at a crossing in their community must first contact their municipality. At their discretion, the municipality may contact the railway company that owns the crossing to discuss the matter.

If warranted, the municipality must then follow the procedure outlined by Transport Canada found at:

Was this page helpful?

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on