- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Many Albertans 16+ are now eligible to get vaccinated. Book your shot.
Acts and regulations
This Act governs the management and disposition of rights in Crown owned mines and minerals, including the levying and collecting of bonuses, rental and royalties. (Administration of portions of this Act shared with Alberta Environment and Parks)
- Crown Minerals Registration Regulation AR 264/1997
- Mines and Minerals Administration Regulation AR 262/1997
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Tenure Regulation AR 263/1997
- Carbon Sequestration Tenure Regulation AR 68/2011
Information letters cover legislative changes with the department of energy, advanced search features are available.
Information bulletins are available through the open government portal, these newsletters alert industry to process changes, more information and guides are available through ETS support and online learning.
- 2020-02 (PDF, 54 KB) Supplemental Information Regarding the Deferral of Public Offerings (Sale) and Direct Purchases of Petroleum and Natural Gas and Oil Sands Crown Mineral Rights
- 2020-01 (PDF, 24 KB) Offset Obligations for Crown Petroleum and Natural Gas (PNG) Agreements
- 2019-02 (PDF, 26 KB) Alberta Petroleum and Natural Gas (PNG) Tenure Business Seminar
- 2019-01 (PDF, 58 KB) Process Clarification on Crown Mineral Activity Authorizations (Crown Authorization) for Disposal
- 2018-03 (PDF, 28 KB) Petroleum & Natural Gas (PNG) Tenure Payments in the Event of a Postal Strike - Application for Direct Deposit
- 2018-02 (PDF, 21 KB) Rental Default Process for Petroleum and Natural Gas, Oil Sands, and Metallic and Industrial Minerals, Coal, and Ammonite Shell Agreements
- 2018-01 Introducing the Mandatory Use of the Electronic Transfer System (ETS) to Register Partial Land Transfers, Encumbrances and Requests for Certified Copies (PDF, 35 KB)
- 2017-01 (PDF, 25 KB) E-Submission of Third Party Requests, Surrenders, Reinstatements and Electronic Notification of Section 18 Notices, Rental Defaults and Royalty Defaults
- 2016-04 (PDF, 25 KB) Automation of Submission for Third Party Requests, Surrenders, Reinstatements and Electronic Notification of Non-Productivity Notices, Rental Defaults and Royalty Defaults (December 20, 2016)
- 2016-03 (PDF, 205 KB) Extensions for Petroleum and Natural Gas (PNG) Agreements in Alberta Caribou Ranges (November 9, 2016)
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Tenure Regulation & Review Information bulletins (1997-02, 01, 1996-06, 04, 03 and 01).
Subscribe to receive information letters and bulletins
Connect with the Petroleum and Natural Gas Tenure division:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-644-2300 with the following menu options:
1 – Petroleum and natural gas sales
2 – Agreement continuations
3 – Validation and rentals
4 – Crown land data, Petrinex and ETS accounts
5 – Registration of transfers and encumbrances
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Energy – Bidding – [email protected]
Energy – Crown land data – [email protected] (general inquiries)
Energy – PNG continuations – [email protected]
Energy – Postings – [email protected]
Energy – Rentals – [email protected]
Energy – Transfers – [email protected]
Energy – Unit agreements – [email protected]
Energy – Well administration – [email protected]
Environment and Parks – GLIMPS – [email protected]
Petroleum and Natural Gas Tenure
North Petroleum Plaza
9945 108 Street*
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2G6
*Couriers report to the 2nd floor.