Services and information
- Alberta Asbestos Abatement Manual
This best practices guide describes procedures for the safe removal or abatement of asbestos-containing materials.
Exposure to airborne asbestos fibres may cause a number of diseases, such as asbestosis and cancer. Workers may be exposed to asbestos in the workplace when materials containing asbestos are disturbed.
For more information on working with asbestos, see Alberta OHS bulletins and guides.
Projects that require notification
Alberta OHS laws require that anyone planning a project where asbestos may be disturbed must notify OHS at least 72 hours before starting the work.
Asbestos projects that require notification include:
- set-up operations that may release asbestos fibres
- removing asbestos
- demolition or renovation of a building or equipment containing asbestos
Approving asbestos projects
The notification process isn’t intended as an approval or review process for the submitted work procedures. Employers are responsible for ensuring their proposed work procedures align with the Alberta Asbestos Abatement Manual and comply with OHS laws.
For more information on Asbestos Project Notification requirements, contact OHS.
Submit a notification
Provide notice using the Asbestos Project Notification form available at the link below. Notice will only be considered valid where the information provided in the form is true, complete and correct.
Each time you submit an asbestos project notice, you must fill out a new online form. See the instructions on the form.
Filling and saving PDF forms text box:
Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
- PDF forms do not work on mobile devices. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
After you submit a notification
Once the Director of Inspections has been notified:
- you’ll receive an acknowledgement email
- the 72-hour, 3 working day waiting period will then begin
- (weekends and statutory holidays aren’t counted towards this 72-hour period)
To connect with OHS: