Table of contents


There are many ways Alberta students can get a post-secondary education or internship experience in another country.

Some programs are offered through partnerships between the Government of Alberta and organizations in other countries. These programs offer professional work and study experiences in exciting places around the world.

Students can also choose to take programs available through their post-secondary institution or plan their own study abroad experiences.

Find out how to choose the study abroad experience that’s right for you.

Chinese Government Scholarships

Deadline for applications is January 31, 2020.

About the program

Every year, the Government of China provides scholarships for Alberta students and scholars to study in China:

  • 5 full scholarships
  • 10 partial scholarships

The program is open to Alberta residents that are:

  • high school graduates
  • post-secondary students
  • scholars

Study programs

Study programs focus on:

  • Chinese language studies
  • academic study at the undergraduate or graduate level
  • research

The language of instruction is primarily Chinese, but a limited number of programs are offered in English.

The program may also sponsor and recommend remedial Chinese language studies for applicants who are not applying for the Chinese language study program.

Find Chinese institutions accepting students.

Scholarship types

Full scholarships cover:

  • tuition (or research) fees
  • accommodation
  • stipend
  • comprehensive medical insurance

Partial scholarships cover only tuition fees.


Applicants must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • hold a Canadian Passport
  • be in good health
  • be an Alberta resident

Educational background and age limits include:

Table 2. Chinese Government Scholarship program eligibility

Category Age limit Educational background
Undergraduate studies Under the age of 25 Completed senior high school with good grades
Master degree Under the age of 35 Must have a bachelor’s degree
Doctoral degree Under the age of 40 Must have a master’s degree
General scholar Under the age of 45 Must have completed 2 years of undergraduate studies (can pursue any major, except Chinese language)
Senior scholar Under the age of 50 Must have a minimum of either a:
  • graduate degree
  • academic title of associate professor or higher

Read the Chinese Government Scholarships Program Overview for specific eligibility information.

How to apply

Read the Chinese Government Scholarships Program Overview for details about how to apply.

The online application asks for a:

  • agency number (it’s 1242 for Alberta students)
  • guarantor (optional)
  • letter of intent (PDF, 12 KB) (required)

If your application is accepted, you will be asked to complete a medical assessment form (PDF, 135 KB) for your Chinese visa application.

Summer School in Czech Republic

Deadline for applications is March 12, 2021.

About the program

The Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport offers full scholarships for Alberta post-secondary students to take Slavonic Studies in the Czech Republic during the summer.

Students study Czech:

  • language
  • literature
  • culture
  • history

Students also visit important landmarks and attend cultural events.

Scholarships cover:

  • tuition
  • room and board
  • various field trips

Scholarship programs

One scholarship is available for the following program:

  • Masaryk University in Brno
    Dates: July 24 to August 21, 2021


Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents and be residents of Alberta.

Recipients are selected based on academic merit, relevance of previous study and letter of intent.

How to apply

Submitted applications must include:

  • completed application form (DOCX, 41 KB)
  • curriculum vitae in Czech or English
  • letter of intent
  • post-secondary transcript(s)
  • copy of passport/ID along with passport-sized photo

Email completed applications to [email protected].

Through your institution

Many publicly funded post-secondary institutions in Alberta offer study abroad opportunities for their students, including:

Talk to your post-secondary institution about:

  • the types of study abroad opportunities they offer
  • program requirements
  • costs
  • any funding support that could be available

Federal study abroad programs

The federal government offers several internship and scholarship programs to Canadian students:

Study abroad on your own

Research study abroad opportunities

You could contact post-secondary institutions you may want to attend to ask them about opportunities for international students.

You may also choose to connect with organizations for international students, such as:

What to consider

When researching a program offered in another country, find out as much as you can about the:

  • post-secondary institution you may be attending or organization you could be working with
  • country you’ll be living in
  • embassy or other supports available to you while you’re away
  • availability of student loans or scholarships for the program you want to take


Connect with the International Education and Intergovernmental Coordination Branch:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-644-1785
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-427-4185
Email: [email protected]

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.

You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.