COVID-19 Updates: Protecting Albertans from the Omicron variant.
Status: Received Royal Assent on April 22, 2021
Ministry responsible: Education
The College of Alberta School Superintendents Act makes the College a legislated organization responsible for upholding the superintendent profession. This includes superintendents and chief deputy superintendents employed in public, separate or francophone or regional school authorities.
The College of Alberta School Superintendents Act makes the College responsible for governance, leadership excellence and accountability.
- establish categories of non-regulated, or optional, membership
- allow the minister to appoint public members to the College’s board of directors
- ensure regulated members are skilled and competent in their professional practice
- set learning requirements and offer professional development to all regulated members
- oversee the professional discipline of its regulated members
- table an annual report in the legislature
- hold annual general meetings
The College is not be responsible for assuming union functions, engaging in collective bargaining on behalf of its members or assisting in negotiating employment contracts.
The College of Alberta School Superintendents Act will take effect upon proclamation on September 1, 2022.
- Raising the bar with education leaders (March 9, 2021)
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.