Application status: Open until November 30 for funding in the following year
Local Municipal Initiatives (LMI) is one of 4 funding streams of the Strategic Transportation Infrastructure Program (STIP). It provides funding to municipalities for local priority transportation infrastructure projects that are not eligible for support under STIP’s other streams.
Funding is determined each budget cycle. Private sector contractors and suppliers must be used to carry out all work.
The level of cost-sharing for provincial and municipal contributions varies based on project scoring.
Eligible applicants can also apply for federal funding to support local transportation infrastructure projects through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program – Rural and Northern Communities stream.
Proposed projects are reviewed to ensure they meet program criteria. Projects are then rated on a provincewide, competitive basis and evaluated on:
- basic need
- impacts on the overall transportation network
- the current condition of the infrastructure
- total traffic volumes
- truck traffic volumes
- cost effectiveness and efficiency
- collaboration or partnership with industry or other municipalities
- economic, social, environmental or innovation benefits
- use of alternate sources to fund the project (federal or private investment)
The following are eligible to apply:
- summer villages
- specialized municipalities outside the defined urban service area
- municipal districts
- the special areas
- Metis Settlements
The following are not eligible to apply:
- private organizations
- non-government agencies
- charitable societies
- non-government operating authorities
The following local transportation infrastructure projects are eligible for this grant:
- projects that align with the Government of Alberta’s economic, social, environmental and innovation priorities and are not eligible for funding under the other STIP components
- preference will be given to projects that are joint provincial/municipal priorities
- examples include:
- highway de-designations where ownership/maintenance/responsibility of a provincial highway is transferred from the Government of Alberta to a municipal government
- park access road paving
- emergent, special-need municipal transportation projects that address significant local or regional pressures
This grant will not cover the following costs:
- operating costs or normal maintenance
- administrative activities
- financing expenses
- land acquisition
- legal fees
How to apply
Step 1. Read the guidelines
Step 2. Complete the application package
Include the following documents in your application package:
- cover letter
- basic Information
- project benefits
- project information
See guidelines for details on the document requirements.
Step 3. Submit the application package
Applications may be submitted:
- online through the Municipal Grants Management Application
- in person or by mail to your local Transportation Regional Office
Municipalities must advise their regional office of online submissions.
Find your region by checking the Municipalities, Locations and Corresponding Transportation Regions list (PDF, 608 KB)
After you apply
Applicants will be notified in writing about the status of their application.
Municipalities must provide a final report which summarizes expenditures for all approved projects and includes:
- final payment claim
- copies of all invoices
- construction completion certificate
- photos of the completed project
- the project’s return on investment, including measurement of the impact of the investment on regional economic growth, job creation numbers, improved safety and access, increased functionality of the facility, and other benefits
For more information about the Strategic Transportation Infrastructure Program, find your region by checking the Municipalities, Locations and Corresponding Transportation Regions list (PDF, 608 KB), then contact your local Regional Office:
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.