When custom building your vehicle, there are a few items that you should keep in mind:

To register the vehicle for on-highway use, it must be designed for on-highway use. If your vehicle is made from one or more donor vehicles (vehicles whose parts you have used) you must ensure that all the donor vehicles were on-highway vehicles. A vehicle made from an off-highway vehicle can not be registered for use on-highway.

The vehicle will need to have an assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). In Alberta, VINs are assigned by the Insurance Bureau of Canada, under contract to Alberta Transportation.

You must ensure that the frame / structural members from the donor vehicles are not branded as non-repairable, which means "parts only." You will not be able to obtain an assigned VIN if your vehicle contains serial numbered structural components of a "parts only" vehicle. If a donor vehicle was branded "salvage," your composite vehicle must pass the requirements of Alberta's Salvage Vehicle Inspection.

Your vehicle must meet the on-highway equipment requirements of Alberta's Traffic Safety Act and Vehicle Equipment Regulation, which outlines the requirements for lamps, mudflaps, brakes, speedometer, etc.

Important Note:

You will be held responsible and liable for the design, engineering and safe operation of the vehicle you build. Contact your insurance company before building the vehicle to inquire about insurance requirements.

Click here to locate an Alberta inspection facility in your area.

For more information, please contact:
Vehicle Inspection Program