Every National Safety Code carrier in Alberta is responsible for ensuring every vehicle and every driver are operating safely and in compliance with transportation safety laws. In some situations, a carrier may need to ask for help from a safety consultant in order to meet regulatory requirements.
When to hire a safety consultant
Carriers may find it helpful to invest in a consultant for:
- better understanding the transportation safety laws that apply to their company
- developing and implementing effective safety and maintenance programs
- addressing significant safety concerns (including rating changes, directions from the Registrar)
- assistance in monitoring drivers for transportation safety compliance
- assistance in completing, preparing for, or taking action after a transportation safety audit
- assistance in establishing a company culture of safety
- training services (for example: cargo securement, hours of service, trip inspections, etcetera)
Selecting a safety consultant
Selecting a consultant is not always an easy task. When selecting a consultant for assistance, carriers should consider that the consultant:
- has a good understanding of the company’s needs
- can help the company establish an administrative system that meets National Safety Code requirements
- can help the carrier address management control of company vehicles and drivers
- can teach company employees how to do what needs to be done on their own
- has the training and experience to do the type of work needed:
- Do they have any certifications?
- What are they certified in?
- Are they knowledgeable of Alberta’s transportation legislation?
- has the skills to do the tasks needed or has connections to others with the right skills (for example: audits, training services, development of safety and maintenance programs, and more)
- offers work references that can be checked before hiring
- is available during the timeframe that the carrier needs to get things done
- is prepared to travel to meet with company representatives in person
- is able to offer their services at an agreeable fee
- is prepared to sign an agreement documenting the fee, services provided, timeframes and more
More information about National Safety Code requirements is available online at: Education manual for commercial carriers.
Connect with Carrier & Vehicle Safety and sign up for updates.