Alberta Surface Public Land data is contained within the Geographic Land Information Management and Planning System (GLIMPS).
Crown Mineral dispositions and activities are contained within the Alberta Mineral Information (AMI).
This data is essential to the management of agreements that cover publicly owned resources.
The primary applications of these systems are:
- Provide access to accurate and timely information relating to public land, and surface and mineral interests on crown land, for example: surface activities, mineral dispositions; and
- Support data capture requirements of government departments through inputting and maintaining their data, for example: all activities and land for Alberta Energy and Alberta Environment and Parks.
The data components include:
- Clients – all clients having an interest in Public Lands or Crown Minerals;
- Activities – all surface dispositions, minerals agreements, restrictions, reservations, units, etc.;
- Land – all Alberta township land and public subdivided land defined by a plan, block, lot reference, and;
- Geo-administrative areas – such as provincial parks, special areas, etc.
- Searches – detailed descriptions, their data components and applicable fees.
This information is accessible through:
- The Electronic Transfer System (ETS log in required), see ETS Account Administration in ETS support and online learning, the site also has land search information.
- Clients that currently do not have an ETS Account apply for access through the Account (ETS) Administration section in ETS support and online learning. You will need to submit an ETS Account Set Up/Change Form and Authorization letter to the department.
- The Alberta Mineral Information (AMI) – Data Extracts. These extracts contain all mineral posting, agreement, unit and restriction, encumbrance and well spacing units information.
Documentation record layouts
Alberta Mineral Information (AMI)
AMI Data Extracts - Details (PDF, 124 KB)
Files are produced from the Alberta Mineral Information System (AMI) in CSV (comma separated value) format. Each record has an entity type code, the entity key including agreement type and number, record type and various data fields of varying lengths.
At the end of each month, 11 complete AMI data files are produced in CSV (comma separated value) format. These are:
- Mineral Agreements Data File
- Offset Notice Data File
- Crown Mineral Activity Data File
- Unit Agreement Data File
- Deeper Rights Reversion Zone Designation (DRRZD)/ Zone Designation (ZD) Data File
- Mineral Restrictions Data File
- Mineral Client Updates Data File
- Code Tables Data File
- Well Spacing Data File
- Crown Mineral Ownership Data File
- Mineral Encumbrance Data File
Geographic Land Information Management and Planning System (GLIMPS)
GLIMPS Data Extracts - Details (PDF, 237 KB)
Files are produced from the GLIMPS in CSV (comma separated value) format. The record layouts and additional material regarding GLIMPS can found in the AMI data extracts file above.
At the end of each month, two zip files of GLIMPS surface data are produced. The LSAS_TAPE_MONTHLY_<Date>.zip file will extract to the following folder configuration and files:
- ENCUMB.DEL – Encumbrance Activity Information
- POSTING.DEL – Posting Activity Information
- RESRVTN.DEL – Reservation Activity Information
- SURFDSP.DEL – Surface Activity Information
- PLT_ATGE_ATSL_GEOA.DEL – GeoAdmin linkage to Activities
- PLT_GECM_GENE_COMM.DEL – General Remarks for Activities
- PLT_ATSL_ATSLAND.DEL – ATS Land Data
- PLT_ATFR_ATSL_FRTI.DEL – ATS Freehold Land Data and Text
- PLT_ATCR_ATSL_CRTI.DEL – ATS Crown Land Data and Text
- PLT_ATEX_ATSL_EXCE.DEL – ATS Exception Land Data and Text
- PLT_ATGR_ATSL_GERE.DEL – ATS General Remarks
- PLT_ATAC_ATSL_ACTI.DEL – ATS Linkage to Activities
- PLT_BUAS_BUS_ASSC.DEL – Client information file. Note that in GLIMPS the term “Business Associate” is used instead of client but the information is the same
- PLT_ADDR_ADDRESS.DEL – Client address file. Each client may have multiple addresses.
- PLT_ACBA_ACTI_BUAS.DEL – Cross reference information to associate client information to activities
- PLT_ACTI_ACTIVITY.DEL – Administrative information associate with activities
- PLT_ACPL_ACTI_PLAN.DEL – FLW and LTO Plan Data
- PLT_PBLL_PBLLAND.DEL – PBL Land Data
- PLT_PBFR_PBLL_FRTI.DEL – PBL Freehold Land Data and Text
- PLT_PBCR_PBLL_CRTI.DEL – PBL Crown Land Data and Text
- PLT_PBEX_PBLL_EXCE.DEL – PBL Exception Land Data and Text
- PLT_PBGR_PBLL_GERE.DEL – PBL General Remarks
- PLT_PBAC_PBLL_ACTI.DEL – PBL Linkage to Activities
- PLT_SUPL_SUBD_PLAN.DEL – Subdivision Plan Data
- SPLT_SURM_SUPL_REMARKS.DEL – Subdivision Plan Remarks
- PLT_SUPB_SUPL_PBLL.DEL – PBL Linkage to Subdivision Plans
With the monthly data file the XREF.zip file contains the codes files use for both monthly and daily data.
- GEOA.DEL – GeoAdmin Area Type
- CLTY.DEL – Crown Title Type
- EXCO.DEL – Exception Condition Code
- ADIN.DEL – Surface Administration Code
- SPPU.DEL – Special Purpose Code
- CLTY.DEL – Client Type Code
- ENST.DEL – Encumbrance Status Code
- PSTA.DEL – Posting Status Code
- PLTY.DEL – Plan Type Code
- GEOA_FULL.DEL – GEO Admin Code
- RECO.DEL – Restriction Code
- PUCO.DEL – Purpose Code
- ACTY.DEL – Activity Type Code (Formerly there were separate tables for Surface, Reservation, Encumbrance and Posting activities but now all activity type codes are contained in ACTY)
- SSTA.DEL – Status Code (Formerly there were separate tables for Reservation, Subdivision, Address and Client statuses but now all use SSTA)
The cost for a set of the complete data files for mineral is $1,250.00 and is accessed through ETS.
Daily update files in the same format as the complete data files are also available at a cost of $650.00 per month. The daily update files include all updates performed on AMI on a particular day. The daily update files include the date within the file name and are retained on the ETS site for a period of 30 days. Prior to utilizing the daily update file the requestor’s database must be loaded with a complete data file. Only valid codes are extracted.
Searches of AMI and GLIMPS products
The Summary or Detail Mineral Reports Summary search returns:
- information on each mineral agreement found for the specified parcel(s) of land.
- The agreement information is displayed as a summary line containing the agreement type, agreement number, type description, status, and various dates regarding the term of the agreement.
The Detail search returns:
- each mineral agreement that matches the search criteria and includes details for the agreements,
- units, DRRZD/ZDs, projects and restrictions and crown mineral ownership.
- The agreement information includes; the agreement status, agreement area, various dates, the term of the agreement, term adjustments, related agreements, service address, current participants, land/zone description, and production entity activity.
Mineral land index search
Used to search by land description (agreement number(s) are not required), this report will provide if selected; agreements, units, wells, restrictions, Crown mineral ownership, fields, projects, DRRZD/ZDs, well spacing and units.
- Fee: $30.00 per request (detail or summary).
Surface public land standing search
This search returns information on any surface interest and/or activity in the specified parcel(s) of land that matches the search criteria entered. The information is organized by quarter section. The report includes information on land status, geo-administrative areas, surface activities, titles, and client names/addresses, see Surface Public Land Standing Search descriptions for more information.
- Fee: $1 per land parcel* requested, with a minimum fee of $5.00 to a maximum of $75.00.
Surface documentation summary search
This report is a summary of the Surface Public Standing Search, see the Surface Public Land Standing Search descriptions for more information.
- Fee: $1.00 per land parcel* requested, with a minimum fee of $5.00 to a maximum of $75.00.
* Land parcel means a quarter section, half section, section or consecutive sequence of sections up to and including one complete township.
Mineral land index search by client ID
This report will be used to search by land description and client id, specific agreement number(s) are not required. Report will provide if selected, Agreements, Units, Wells, Restrictions, crown mineral ownership, Fields, Projects, DRRZD/ZDs, Well Spacing. & Units.
- Fee: $30.00 per request (detail or summary). Maximum of 6 client ids per request.
Activity / agreement searches
Surface activity detail search
This report provides surface activity information including; the activity type, serial number and activity type decode, status, activity area in hectares and acres, client name/address, ownership flag, service address flag, more owners flag, key file id, within 100 meters of a waterbody flag, option to purchase flag, application, letter of authority, effective, expiry, cancellation, reinstatement, amendment, renewal, amended and LOA dates. See Surface Public Land Standing Search descriptions.
- Fee: $6.00 for each Surface Activity Detail.
Surface activity standing search
This search returns information on any surface interest and/or activity that matches the search criteria entered, similar to the Surface Public Land Standing Search. This report utilizes the land keys of the requested surface activity to identify all other activities intersecting with it. The information is organized by quarter section. The report includes information on land status, geo-administrative areas, activities and titles, and client name/addresses. See Surface Public Land Standing Search descriptions.
- Fee: $1 per land parcel* requested, with a minimum fee of $5.00 with a maximum fee of $75.00 for each Surface Activity Standing Report.
* Land parcel means a quarter section, half section, section or consecutive sequence of sections up to and including one complete township
Mineral agreement search
This report will provide agreement information which includes; the agreement status, agreement area, various dates, the term of the agreement, term adjustments, related agreements, service address, current participants, land/zone description, and production entity activity. This report will be provided when agreement type(s) and number(s) are supplied.
- Fee: $6.00 per agreement.
This report will give detailed information about the requested DRRZD or ZD. A DRRZD/ZD is a unique ID number assigned by the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER).
A ZD designates a lithostratigraphic zone described specifically by the depths identified in a particular well. ZDs are used, for instance, to describe the zones included in natural gas leases. When a ZD is being used the depths and the interval take precedence over the name given to the zone.
A DRRZD identifies a zone by its name. As noted in AER Decision 95-10, historically the name of the zone identified within type wells takes precedence over the depths identified in terms of utilizing a DRRZD.
- Fee: $6.00 per DRRZD/ZD - view the DRRZD and ZD libraries.
This report will give detailed information about the requested restriction. Restrictions apply to areas in the province of Alberta that have surface access or geologic concerns in the development of mineral resources.
- Fee: $6.00 per Restriction.
This report will give detailed information about the requested Unit. A unit establishes a relationship between lessees and lessors to operate a group of leases for the recovery of Oil and Gas, as a single consolidated unit without regard to separate ownerships.
- Fee: $6.00 per Unit.
Well spacing unit search
Well spacing unit (SU order) is a specific area allocated by the AER for the purpose of drilling for and producing oil or gas. Which is not a standard spacing unit. The standard spacing units are one section for gas and a quarter-section for oil.
- Fee: $6.00 per Well Spacing Unit.
Activity / agreement search by client ID
Mineral agreement search by client ID
This report provides all Mineral Agreement Information for the requested client id(s). The report information is the same as the Mineral Agreement Search.
- Fee: $30.00 per request, maximum of 6 client ids per request.
Unit search by client ID
This report will provide all Unit Information for the requested client id(s). The report information is the same as the Unit Search.
- Fee: $30.00 per request, maximum of 6 client ids per request.
Surface activity search by client ID
This report provides all Surface Activity Information for the requested client id(s). The report information is the same as the Surface Activity Detail Search. See Surface Public Land Standing Search descriptions.
- Fee: $30.00 per request, maximum of 6 client ids per request.
A $10.00 surcharge is charged for rush searches. See the Schedule of prescribed fees, Mines and Minerals Administration Regulation.
Connect with the Petroleum and Natural Gas Tenure division:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-644-2300 with the following menu options:
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Sales
- Agreement Continuations
- Validation and Rentals
- Crown Land Data, Petrinex and ETS Accounts
- Registration of Transfers and Encumbrances
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Energy Bidding – email@example.com
Energy Crown Land Data – firstname.lastname@example.org (general inquiries)
Energy PNG Continuations – email@example.com
Energy Postings – firstname.lastname@example.org
Energy Rentals – email@example.com
Energy Transfers – firstname.lastname@example.org
Energy Unit Agreements – email@example.com
Energy Well Administration – firstname.lastname@example.org
Petroleum and Natural Gas Tenure
North Petroleum Plaza
9945 108 Street*
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2G6
*Couriers, please report to the 2nd floor.