EMERGENCY: Alberta has declared a Public Health Emergency to protect the health care system from COVID-19. Indoor social gatherings are the top source of transmission. All indoor social gatherings have now been banned. This ban will be enforced with $1,000 fines. Learn more

Safer Spaces certificate to end tenancy

Tenants can end their tenancy agreement without financial penalty by getting a certificate confirming they're victims of domestic violence.

Services and information

Victims of domestic violence must follow these steps to get a certificate confirming grounds to terminate their tenancy.

The Act authorizes certain persons to provide a statement confirming a tenant is a victim of domestic violence.

Responsibilities of landlords when ending a tenancy on the grounds of domestic violence.

How it works

The Residential Tenancies (Safer Spaces for Victims of Domestic Violence) Act allows for victims of family violence to end a residential tenancy agreement without financial penalty.

To do this, tenants must get a Certificate Confirming Grounds to Terminate Tenancy, and use it to give at least 28 days' notice to their landlord. The tenant is still required to pay rent during the notice period.

For more information, see:

Important to know

If you’re at risk of domestic violence, you don’t have to wait until you receive your certificate before moving out. Call 911 if you're in immediate danger. Call 310-1818 for information on supports available to you.

How termination affects co-tenants

When a lease ends due to a certificate being issued, the tenancy agreement of everyone living with the victim will be terminated too. The victim is not responsible for telling other tenants that the tenancy is ending, but can if they feel comfortable doing so. Otherwise, the landlord will be required to notify these tenants of the termination.

The other tenants should consult the landlord if they wish to stay at the premises. The landlord may start a new lease with them, but doesn’t have to.


Tenants can request a certificate if:

  • they’re named on a rental agreement with a landlord
  • their safety, or the safety of a dependent child or dependent adult in the home, is at risk if the tenancy continues