Your rights and responsibilities

It is important for temporary foreign workers to be aware of their employment rights. The following easy reading guide can help you understand employment standards and your paycheck.

The following resources can help you learn about employment standards rules in Alberta:

The following brochure has information on your rights and responsibilities as a worker in Alberta, and the support you can access from Alberta's Temporary Foreign Worker Advisory Office.

Temporary Foreign Worker Guide for Employees

Guide provides basic information on:

  • federal Temporary Foreign Worker Program
  • employment standards
  • workplace health and safety
  • using an employment agency
  • landlords and tenants
  • worker's compensation
  • Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta
  • supports for temporary foreign workers in Alberta
  • Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program

It also provides detailed contact information for questions and how to file a complaint, among others. Available in:


These resources can help you learn how to stay safe at work.

Employment agencies

Employment agencies can help:

  • people look for work in Alberta
  • employers recruit employees in Alberta

License requirements

Employment agencies must have a license issued by Service Alberta to exist in Alberta or recruit for an employer located in Alberta.

This is the law even if the agency recruits people outside of Alberta.

Find out if an employment agency is licensed.


Employment agencies cannot:

  • demand or collect a fee from a Temporary Foreign Worker for recruiting services or for helping them find a job
  • demand or hold a bond or deposit from an individual
    • It is against the law to collect any fee from a person even if the agency may pay it back later.
  • tell an employer that the employer can recover costs of the agency’s services from the employee
    • This includes deducting from the employee’s salary or demanding cash from the employee.
  • make an individual pay for other services as a condition to help the person find work
    • This includes immigration services.

Learn more about employment agencies.

Temporary Foreign Workers can file a complaint with government if they believe an immigration consultant or employment agency has:

  • deceived or misled them
  • charged prohibited fees
  • otherwise broke the rules described in the legislation

English as a Second Language (ESL) Drop-in Centres

Visit an ESL Drop-in Centre to help you in your transition.


The Immigrant Education Service
Phone: 403-235-3666


1723 40 Street SE
Calgary, Alberta  T2A 7Y3


Cultural Connection Institute

Phone: 780-944-0792


The Learning Exchange
4th Floor, 10621 100 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 0B3


Edson and District Community Learning Society

Phone: 780-723-6247


#103 Edson Provincial Building
11 54 Street
Edson, Alberta  T7E 1T2


Taber & District Adult Learning Association

Phone: 403-223-1191


ESL Drop-In Centre
5011 49 Avenue
Taber, Alberta  T1G 1V9


For temporary foreign workers interested in gaining permanent residency in the province, the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) can help make the immigration process go faster.


Connect with the Temporary Foreign Worker Advisory Office:


South location - Calgary

Phone: 403-476-4540


Suite 150, 717 7 Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta  T2P 0Z3

North location - Edmonton

Phone: 780-644-2584


2nd Floor, 9925 Building
9925 109 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2J8

Temporary Foreign Worker Helpline

You can contact the Temporary Foreign Worker Helpline toll-free throughout most of the world at 1-877-944-9955, with the following exceptions:

  • China (North): 108007141500
  • Chine (South): 108001401372
  • Mexico: 0018005145713
  • Philippines: 18001110151
  • Thailand: 0018001562045713