The farmers' market manager is one of the most critical roles in the market, requiring some very specific skills and knowledge. This person is the liaison with the board of directors, the vendors, Alberta Agriculture and Forestry, the public health inspector and other regulatory agencies.
The manager enforces market rules, ensures the guidelines are adhered to and ensures vendors are compliant with legislation.
A job description (PDF, 376 KB) should be developed for your market manager so that everyone is clear about duties and responsibilities.
The safety of the food being sold at approved farmers' markets is critical to the success of farmers' markets in Alberta. The Program is committed to ensuring market managers and vendors have food safety training.
In order to retain their approved status, Alberta approved farmers' markets are required to submit the following forms to Program staff annually by January 15:
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
- Appendix 1a Application Form (PDF, 294 KB)
- Appendix 1b Starting an Alberta Approved Farmers Market (PDF, 416 KB)
- Appendix 2 Farmers Market Guidelines (PDF, 827 KB)
- Appendix 3a Email Consent (PDF, 371 KB)
- Appendix 3b Annual Paperwork (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- Appendix 3c Vendor List (PDF, 233 KB)
- Appendix 3d Sponsor Approval Form (PDF, 57 KB)
- Appendix 4 Market Manager Job Description (PDF, 376 KB)
- Appendix 5 Conflict Resolution Resources (PDF, 340 KB)
- Appendix 6 Sunnygirl Usage Guidelines (PDF, 98 KB)
- Appendix 7a Basic Labelling Quick Guide (PDF, 611 KB)
- Appendix 7b Labelling Your Food Product (PDF, 479 KB)
- Appendix 8 Food Regulation
- Appendix 9a Information for Managers and Stallholders (PDF, 290 KB) (Alberta Health Services)
- Appendix 9b Low-risk Home-prepared Food: Fact sheet for operators (PDF, 87 KB) (Alberta Health Services)
Market Start-up: Food Safety Checklist (PDF, 198 KB)
Weekly Food Safety Checklist (PDF, 290 KB)
Alberta Food Safety Basics for Farmers' Markets (Under Online Courses)
Information for Farmers' Market Managers and Stallholders (PDF, 290 KB) (Alberta Health Services
Best Practices for Alberta Approved Farmer's Markets (PDF, 780 KB)
Special Market Protocol (PDF, 361 KB)
Sample Vendor Application (DOC, 185 KB)
Alberta Approved Farmers’ Market Program
4701 52 Street, Box 24
Vermilion, Alberta T9X 1J9
Email: [email protected]