Start an approved farmers’ market

Guidelines, forms and other resources for groups wishing to start an Alberta approved farmers’ market.

About the program

The Alberta Approved Farmers’ Market Program helps ensure market managers and vendors have the information they need to be successful in their roles and keep your visit safe. Approved farmers' markets are recognized in Part 3 of the Alberta Public Health Act Food Regulation.

Program requirements

An Alberta approved farmers' market is approved by the Alberta government and meets the requirements of the Program Guidelines, including:

  • has sponsorship from a not-for-profit community group, local Chamber of Commerce, municipality or agricultural society or form their own not-for profit society under the Societies Act
  • insured against liability
  • has at least five vendors where a minimum of 80% of vendors are Albertans who make, bake or grow the products they sell; the remaining 20% may sell products that complement the market mix
  • operates for at least 5 days per year
  • has developed a set of farmers’ market rules which govern the operation of the market, and provide those to the Alberta Approved Farmers' Market Program and all market vendors
  • may not sell any used goods or flea market products
  • adheres to the administrative requirements of the Program

In addition:

How to apply

Applications must be submitted a minimum of 4 weeks before the proposed market opening date.

Step 1. Read the guidelines

Review the Guide to Starting an Alberta Approved Farmers' Market and the Alberta Approved Farmers' Markets Program Guidelines.

Step 2. Complete the application package

Complete the Alberta Approved Farmers' Market Program Application Form.

Include the following documents in your application package:

Step 3. Submit the application package

Email or mail completed application forms and accompanying documents to:

Alberta Approved Farmers' Market Program
4701 52 Street, Box 24
Vermilion, Alberta T9X 1J9
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 780-853-4776

After you apply

Applicants will be notified in writing of any deficiencies in the application.

Markets granted approval status will be notified in writing.

Additional resources

Resources for farmers’ market managers and vendors

Alberta Farm Fresh Producers Association

Alberta Farmers' Market Association


Connect with Program staff:

Phone: 780-853-8223
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]

Alberta Approved Farmers’ Market Program
4701 52 Street, Box 24
Vermilion, Alberta  T9X 1J9