About the program
The Alberta Approved Farmers’ Market Program helps ensure market managers and vendors have the information they need to be successful in their roles and keep your visit safe. Approved farmers' markets are recognized in Part 3 of the Alberta Public Health Act Food Regulation.
An Alberta approved farmers' market is approved by the Alberta government and meets the requirements of the Program Guidelines, including:
- has sponsorship from a not-for-profit community group, local Chamber of Commerce, municipality or agricultural society or form their own not-for profit society under the Societies Act
- insured against liability
- has at least five vendors where a minimum of 80% of vendors are Albertans who make, bake or grow the products they sell; the remaining 20% may sell products that complement the market mix
- operates for at least 5 days per year
- has developed a set of farmers’ market rules which govern the operation of the market, and provide those to the Alberta Approved Farmers' Market Program and all market vendors
- may not sell any used goods or flea market products
- adheres to the administrative requirements of the Program
- All approved farmers’ markets must complete annual reporting.
- Only Alberta approved farmers' markets can use the official Sunnygirl logo:
How to apply
Applications must be submitted a minimum of 4 weeks before the proposed market opening date.
Step 1. Read the guidelines
Step 2. Complete the application package
Complete the Alberta Approved Farmers' Market Program Application Form (DOCX, 626 KB)
Include the following documents in your application package:
- A copy of the certificate of incorporation if forming your own non-profit association under the Societies Act.
- If completed, proof of completion of Market Manager Training and the Alberta Food Safety Basics for Farmers' Markets (Under Online Courses)
- At least three letters of support from local community leaders or groups
- Market rules must be submitted for review with this application
- Certificate of insurance
Step 3. Submit the application package
Email or mail completed application forms and accompanying documents to:
Alberta Approved Farmers' Market Program
4701 52 Street, Box 24
Vermilion, Alberta T9X 1J9
Email: [email protected]
After you apply
Applicants will be notified in writing of any deficiencies in the application.
Markets granted approval status will be notified in writing.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.