Changes due to COVID-19
RTDRS offices are closed to the public
RTDRS is conducting all hearings by telephone. Parties to a previously scheduled in-person hearing will be contacted about the change. Parties wishing to proactively provide their telephone number for an upcoming hearing are asked to call 403-297-8550 and leave a message with their name, case number and telephone number.
Applications for possession or termination of the tenancy agreement will be given priority in the RTDRS hearing schedule. Non-urgent applications, such as for damages or return of the security deposit, are being received, but will not be scheduled for hearing while COVID-19 is being managed.
Protections for renters
New protections are in place for residential and mobile home site tenants facing financial hardship due to COVID-19:
- Tenants cannot be evicted for non-payment of rent and/or utilities before May 1, 2020.
- Rents on residential properties or mobile home sites will not increase while Alberta’s State of Public Health Emergency remains in effect.
- Late fees cannot be applied to late rent payments until June 30 and cannot be collected retroactively for this time.
- Landlords and tenants need to work together to develop payment plans while COVID-19 is being managed. RTDRS will not hear applications that could lead to eviction due to non-payment while Alberta’s State of Public Health Emergency remains in effect, unless a reasonable attempt has been made to work out a payment plan.
- Landlords can still file applications and receive orders for possession if the reason for the eviction is unrelated to rent and/or utility payments.
For more information about Alberta’s COVID-19 response, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.
NEW: The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) eFiling Service is now available. Landlords and tenants are able to submit their applications online.
The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) offers landlords and tenants a method of resolving disputes without going to court.
Find out more about how RTDRS works.