Part of Marriage

Register as a religious marriage officiant

Registering clergy or religious representatives to perform marriages in Alberta.


A religious marriage officiant, commonly referred to as a clergy person, or religious representative, is an official of a religious organization. The religious organization to which they belong authorizes them to perform marriages in Alberta.

The governing authority of a recognized religious organization registers its clergy/religious representatives with Vital Statistics before they can perform marriages in Alberta.

A governing authority is the person appointed by a religious organization (for example: chairman, president, elder) to represent the organization to Vital Statistics for the purpose of registering religious marriage officiants.

No person can lawfully solemnize a marriage unless registered under the Marriage Act.


To become a religious marriage officiant:

  • you must be 18 years old or older
  • you must be a resident of Alberta
  • your religious organization must be recognized by Alberta Vital Statistics

More information is available about recognizing a religious group to conduct marriage ceremonies.

Clergy/religious representatives visiting Alberta from another jurisdiction may be eligible for a temporary registration as a religious marriage officiant in Alberta. Check with the governing authority of your religious organization or Vital Statistics for details.


There is no cost to become a registered religious marriage officiant.

There is no cost for a religious organization to become recognized by Alberta to perform marriages.

How to apply

Get registered to perform Alberta marriages

Step 1. Contact the governing authority

Advise your religious organization’s governing authority that you want to perform Alberta marriages.

Step 2. Complete the application form

The governing authority must complete an Application for Registration of Clergy form.

The governing authority can get the form from Vital Statistics.

Step 3. Send the application form

The governing authority can email, mail, fax or courier the application to Vital Statistics.


Connect with the Service Alberta Contact Centre:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-422-4225

For the deaf or hard-of-hearing:
TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area)
Toll free TTY: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)

Email: [email protected]

Vital Statistics
Box 2023
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Attention: Marriage Unit

Vital Statistics
Document Reception
John E. Brownlee Building
10365 97 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3W7
Attention: Marriage Unit