Registering your corporation in Alberta removes the need to have separate corporations in every place your corporation does business.

Your corporation is considered to be carrying on business in Alberta if:

  • it solicits business in Alberta
  • its name, or any name under which it carries on business, is listed in an Alberta telephone directory or appears in any advertisement with an Alberta address
  • it has a resident agent, representative, warehouse, office or place of business in Alberta
  • it is licensed or registered, or required to be licensed or registered, under any Act of Alberta allowing it to carry on business
  • it owns land in Alberta

If your corporation’s home jurisdiction is British Columbia, Manitoba or Saskatchewan, there are special streamlined processes for you. You can register your corporation in Alberta through Alberta’s Online Extra-provincial Registration. There is no cost to register or update your corporation in Alberta.


The service provider that processes your application will charge a government fee and a service fee.

See the Registry agent product catalogue.

How to apply

Step 1. Get an Alberta NUANS Report

You need to get an Alberta NUANS report and review it to make sure there are no corporations with identical names or names that are too similar to the name of your out-of-province corporation.

If your corporation's name is too similar to other corporation names in Alberta, you can use an ‘assumed name,’ which will require a separate NUANS report.

Find a NUANS service provider.

The NUANS report reserves the proposed name for 90 days. The complete report, whether an original or fax copy, must be submitted with the registration details and must be less than 91 days old.

You do not need a NUANS report when your out-of-province corporation has a number name (assigned by its home province or country) or was formed under the Canada Business Corporations Act.

If another corporation feels your corporation’s name is too similar to theirs, they can file an objection with the Registrar of Corporations. If the Registrar agrees with the objection, your corporation can be forced to change its name.

Step 2. Appoint an attorney for service in Alberta

The attorney will represent your corporation in Alberta and can accept service of legal documents at an address in the province.

The attorney does not have to be a lawyer. It could be the Alberta manager of your extra-provincial corporation, or an accountant.

Step 3. Gather supporting documents

You will need to gather copies of your charter or formation documents.

These documents include one of the following:

  • a statute, ordinance or other law incorporating an extra-provincial corporation
  • letters patent of incorporation and any supplementary letters patent
  • memorandum of association, including changes to the memorandum
  • any certificate, licence or other instrument that provides proof of incorporation and all changes to those documents
  • if the charter is from outside Canada and has not been written in English, you’ll also need to provide a notarized translation of the documents
  • proof of current corporation status in your home registration; this is usually a document issued by the Corporate Registry office in your home jurisdiction

These documents must be certified by a:

  • company official
  • notary public
  • government official

Step 4. Fill out the forms

Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?

Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:

  1. Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
  2. Launch Adobe Reader.
  3. Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.

Statement of Registration (PDF, 174 KB)

Notice of Attorney (PDF, 154 KB)

Notice/Cancellation of Assumed Name (PDF, 2 MB)

Step 5. Submit your application package

You need to take your forms to a registry agent or authorized Alberta service provider. You will need to bring:

  • registration forms
  • charter documents
  • NUANS report
  • valid ID
  • fee payment

If your information meets requirements, the service provider will enter it into the Corporate Registry and give you a certificate of registration.


Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-7013
Email: cr@gov.ab.ca
Fax: 780-422-1091