All marriages that occur in Alberta must be registered with the Alberta government. A marriage can be registered for one year from the date of marriage at no cost. After one year, the delayed registration process including fees applies.

A marriage certificate cannot be issued until the marriage is registered.

Only Alberta marriages are registered in Alberta. A marriage that occurred in another jurisdiction must be registered in that jurisdiction. It cannot be registered in Alberta.

Already Married

If you are currently married, you cannot apply for an Alberta marriage licence or get married as you are already married.

If you and your current spouse got married in another jurisdiction, you cannot get married again just to get your marriage registered in Alberta.

Register a marriage

A Registration of Marriage form is a permanent legal record. When you apply for and receive a marriage licence, you will also get a Registration of Marriage form to be used at the ceremony. It is a 2-part document. The top part is a Registration of Marriage and the bottom part is the marriage licence.
The following steps must take place for your marriage to be registered:

  1. Give the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence form to the person who will be performing the wedding ceremony (the marriage officiant).
  2. The final information is added to the Registration of Marriage and it is signed during the wedding ceremony.
  3. The marriage officiant will keep the marriage licence portion of the form and send the Registration of Marriage portion to Vital Statistics for registration.

For special arrangements or rush service options, contact Vital Statistics.

After a marriage is registered, you can order marriage documents from a registry agent or Registry Connect depending on your location.

All the information on a marriage certificate is taken from the Registration of Marriage form.

If there are any errors on your marriage document, you will need to get the marriage record corrected.

Delayed registration of marriage

If a marriage is not registered within one year from the date of the marriage, there are additional requirements and a fee of $20 to register the marriage. For full details, contact Vital Statistics.


To connect with Alberta Vital Statistics

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-422-4225

For the deaf or hard-of-hearing:
TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area)
Toll free TTY: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)

Email: vs@gov.ab.ca

Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 2023
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 4W7

Vital Statistics
Document Reception
John E. Brownlee Building
10365 97 Street
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 5C5