Ownership and responsibility

The Canadian Transportation Agency is responsible and administers the rules and processes for track belonging to either Canadian National (CN) or Canadian Pacific (CP) railways. The agency website has information on the 12-month process to discontinue or abandon a railway track under the Transfer and Discontinuance of Railway Lines.

If an operator of a provincially regulated public railway intends to cease to operate rolling stock, or to cease to operate a track, the operator must give a minimum 180 day written notice to the Railway Administrator. This "Cessations of Operations" process is under Part 4 of the Railway Regulation AR 177/2002.


Connect with Rail Safety:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-422-9600
Toll free: 1-800-272-9600
Email: [email protected]

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.