Status: Bill 85 received royal assent on December 2, 2021
Ministry responsible: Education
Bill 85, the Students First Act improves student safety and parent confidence by addressing gaps, issues and inconsistencies in Alberta’s system of oversight and discipline for teachers and teacher leaders.
The Students First Act updates 3 pieces of legislation to ensure disciplinary matters are responded to quicker while bringing the teaching profession in line with practices in other provinces and professions by requiring the creation of an online database of Alberta teacher and teacher leader certification information.
Updates put students first by balancing individual teachers’ rights to privacy and procedural fairness with the public’s right to know when a teacher has been disciplined for a serious matter.
Students First Act amends the Teaching Profession Act, Education Act, and the College of Alberta School Superintendents’ Act to:
- create a public online and searchable database of Alberta teacher and teacher leader information, bringing Alberta in line with other provinces
- require school authorities to conduct criminal record and vulnerable sector checks when hiring a new teacher or teacher leader, and again every 5 years throughout their employment
- improve oversight and timeliness of disciplinary matters for teachers and teacher leaders
- require the Alberta Teachers’ Association (ATA) to inform the Ministry of Education about all complaints made against its members, including when a complaint is filed
- improve the efficiency of disciplinary processes by simplifying the ATA’s disciplinary committee structure to align with the structure and processes used by the College of Alberta School Superintendents, and Alberta Education’s Registrar
Learn more: Putting Students First Fact Sheet (PDF, 346 KB)
Bill 85: the Students First Act will take effect upon proclamation.
- Putting students first (November 16, 2021)
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.