COVID-19: State of public health emergency declared. Mandatory measures are in effect.
There are 26 publicly funded post-secondary institutions in Alberta. These institutions:
- offer most of Alberta’s post-secondary programs
- receive government funding to offset their operating costs
- are accountable to Alberta taxpayers
Government is responsible for:
- setting the strategic direction for the system
- providing funding to institutions and to learners via student aid
- quality assurance
- developing program standards with industry, and providing Journeyperson certificates
Publicly funded post-secondary institutions are governed by boards that:
- provide leadership that guides the institution’s future
- are accountable for ensuring public funds are used effectively and appropriately
For most institutions, the ministry manages a recruitment process for public members that is:
- competency based
The process strives to attract diverse, qualified applicants.
Institution boards report to government in several ways. Find out more about accountability and reporting requirements for publicly funded post-secondary institutions.