Property Rights Advocate Office
This advocate office listens to Albertans’ concerns about property rights, and communicates these concerns to government.
Our office can’t give you legal advice or represent you in court.
For legal assistance, consult a lawyer.
Established by the Property Rights Advocate Act (0.4 MB), our office advocates for fairness and equity in regards to property rights that involve ‘real property,’ such as:
- land and house rights
- abandoned or operating oil and gas infrastructure
- neighbour-to-neighbour disputes
- municipal planning and zoning decisions
- mineral surface rights
- grazing leases
- environmental contamination
You can contact us to voice your concerns about property rights. We will then bring those concerns to our colleagues in government ministries, as well as the elected MLAs on the committee. From there, government lawmakers make decisions on what actions should be taken in government in order to make life better when it comes to property rights.
When you call us, you can expect us to:
- listen to and document your concerns
- make recommendations, based on your concerns, in our annual report for Alberta’s legislators
- raise awareness about your property rights concerns and share them with:
- non-government organizations
- Alberta government ministries
- an all-party committee of the Alberta legislature
- relay information on the progress of the government’s recommended actions, based on our initial recommendations
While we don’t provide direct assistance involving property rights disputes, we do listen to your concerns and bring them before government.
For direct assistance, you can contact the service that best fits your situation:
- Alberta Utilities Commission
- Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service
- Municipal Government Board
- Farmers' Advocate Office
- Alberta Energy Regulator
- Legal Line
- Surface Rights Board / Land Compensation Board
- Alberta Ombudsman
Laws governing property rights
Alberta laws that govern your property rights include these examples:
Alberta Land Stewardship Act (0.4 MB)
Condominium Property Amendment Act, 2014 (not proclaimed)
Expropriation Act (0.4 MB)
Municipal Government Act (1.9 MB)
Responsible Energy Development Act
Surface Rights Act
Property Rights Advocate Office: At-a-glance
A Guide to Property Rights in Alberta (0.8 MB)
Review of the Alberta Property Rights Advocate Office 2016 Annual Report (0.4 MB)
Review of the Alberta Property Rights Advocate Office 2015 Annual Report (0.3 MB)
Final Report - Review of the Alberta Property Rights Advocate Office 2014 Annual Report (3.2 MB)
Review of the Alberta Property Rights Advocate Office 2012 and 2013 Annual Reports (0.4 MB)
Each year, we submit our annual report to the Alberta legislature so that:
- our legislators can discuss the recommendations made by the Property Rights Advocate
- the legislature can recommend actions government should take to make property rights better
Book a presentation
We’re happy to speak about the work of the Property Rights Advocate Office at your event.
Contact our office to book a presentation.
Hours: 8:15 am - 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Property Rights Advocate Office
Alberta Justice and Solicitor General
9th Floor, John E Brownlee Building
10365 - 97 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3W7