Personal Property Liens – Register an interest

Register an interest in the Personal Property Registry.


To register an interest, fill out the form for the type of lien you wish to register and drop it off at a registry agent.

Some interests must be registered within specific time frames. You should allow adequate lead time for processing by a registry agent if there are any legislative time limits for registration.

How to register an interest

Step 1. Fill out the form

The type of lien depends on how the interest is registered.

Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers.

If you are having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.

Security for goods

Sale of Goods/Factors Act

PPSA Security Agreement


Receiver’s Report


Garage Keepers’ Lien


Maintenance Order

Crown Charge

Writ of Enforcement

Writ of Seizure and Sale (Federal Writ)

Court Order

Statutory Charge


Attachment Order

Matrimonial Property Order

Land Charge

Property under possession, service or labour

You can claim a lien against personal property that has been left under someone’s possession, such as a rented storage facility, or if you have performed labour or service on it and have not been compensated.

There is no requirement to register these types of liens in the Personal Property Registry System.

Possessory Liens

  • A lien can be claimed on personal property, owner or keeper of a wharf, or a bailee who stores goods for a fee.
  • The Possessory Liens Act

Warehousemen’s Lien

  • Any person who stores goods as a bailee for hire can claim a lien against those goods for non-payment of fees for storage.
  • The Warehousemen’s Lien Act

Woodmen’s Lien

  • Any person who has provided labour or service in relation to logs or timber in Alberta can claim a lien for the amount of any unpaid wages.
  • The Woodmen’s Lien Act

Step 2. Go to a registry agent

Take the form to a registry agent.

After you submit your statement

The registry agent will review the financing statement. If the information is complete and acceptable, it will be updated onto the Alberta Personal Property Registry Electronic System (APPRES). A verification statement will be generated by the system as proof of registration.

You must ensure there are sufficient grounds for registration and that the registration is made in good faith. A failure to comply with this obligation could lead to a claim by any person suffering damages as a result of the registration.

Check your verification statement carefully to make sure all information has been recorded accurately. If errors are detected, have the error amended immediately on APPRES. The verification statement can be used to renew or discharge your registration.

Civil Enforcement registrations

Civil Enforcement Agents perform seizure, sale and distribute funds from civil enforcement activity. These registrations are performed for their business needs:

  • Attachment Order
  • Report of Seizure
  • Sale of Seized Property
  • Sale Proceeds Distribution
  • Sale of Land

These civil enforcement agents provide services provincewide:

Allied Shortridge Civil Enforcement Agency Inc
Toll free: 1-800-643-3171

Alternative Bailiff Services Ltd
Toll free: 1-866-643-0900

Consolidated Civil Enforcement Inc
Toll free: 1-800-313-4270

1216808 Alberta Ltd o/a Prairie Bailiff Services
Toll free: 1-855-883-1012

Serv-It Bailiff Services Inc.
Toll free: 1-866-424-9020

Stewart Belland and Associates Inc
Toll free: 1-877-465-9725

Western Civil Enforcement Agency Inc
Toll free: 1-877-707-7376


Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 780-427-7013