Due to scheduled maintenance, the Alberta's Open Government Portal will not be accessible on Thursday, October 17th from noon to 1 pm. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Open government portal
The open government portal is a collection of datasets and publications by government departments and agencies. The public can use and access this data freely to learn more about how government works, carry out research or build web apps.
The portal functions as both a library for current publications and as an archive for old publications which have historic value.
Search for Alberta government publications and laws.
Search for government data in the open data catalogue to do research, build apps and gain insights.
Read the latest updates on the open government blog to learn when new data becomes available.
Alberta government mobile applications ('apps') available for smartphones and other mobile devices.
View Alberta government data visualizations such as interactive maps, dynamic charts, and infographics.
The Open Government Program:
- improves access to government data and publications, and develops standards and processes to encourage open engagement
- works with ministries to release data and information they collect
- maintains the open government documentation including best practices, general use, policies and instructions on how to use the portal
- developed the open data licence in collaboration with the governments of Canada, British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec and is based on the UK open government licence
- developed the Open Information and Open Data policy
- determines what data and information goes on the open government portal
Contact information and social media
- request a publication or open dataset that you would like to see on the open government portal
- share ideas, general inquiries, provide feedback or to report an error
- for Alberta government staff that need help identifying which data sets should go on the open government portal or how to make sure the data meets the necessary criteria
- to get the latest updates on open data
15,200 open datasets, government publications and legislation published.
Launched the Federated Open Data Search Pilot Project with the Government of Canada – Visitors to the Open Data Portal of Canada are now able to search and download open data available from both Canada and Alberta.
Received the 2017 Canadian Open Data Summit Award for Open Data Innovation for the Open Laws initiative that makes Alberta Legislation accessible through the open government portal.
Alberta Legislation is now accessible through the open government portal – Albertans can search for laws, publications and datasets in a centralized location to provide the full picture and make discovery of data and information easier.
Enterprise Data Analytics plan is developed.
7060 open datasets and government publications published.
Previously called the open data portal, the new open government portal was designed to provide a convenient and comprehensive location for accessing government data and information.
1,695 open datasets published
A competition using Alberta open data, is launched. The Government of Alberta, in partnership with Alberta Innovates Technology Futures, hosted this innovation competition from February – August 2015. Apps for Alberta offered $70,000 in cash prizes to encourage the brightest and most creative minds in Canada and the United States to develop apps that use open data from the Alberta open government portal.
Implemented data analytics as part of open government
371 open datasets published on the open data portal
Open Information Program Consolidation of Alberta Government Libraries
The Open Information and Open Data Policy version 1.0 provided a framework to establish the operational responsibilities, organization, processes, tools and other resources required for a single approach to the open data and open information programs.
280 datasets were available on the open data portal when it was first launched.
Launch of the Open Government Program.