Fees will be assessed for both initial applications ($500 per application) and amendments or supplemental applications ($250 per application). These application fees are similar to those charged by other departments, and are revenue neutral, with the proceeds directed back into the program to ensure its continued viability and efficiency. Further information is available in the OPaC User Guide – Historic Resources Application Fees – Frequently Asked Questions below.
Four types of applications can be submitted using the OpaC system:
- Historic Resources Applications
- applications for permits to undertake archaeological studies
- applications for permits to undertake palaeontological studies
- applications for Alberta Parks/Wildlife research or collections permits
Historic resources application
Submit a Historic Resources Application to get Historical Resources Act approval for development projects. See OPaC user guides on this page.
Archaeological permit application
Qualified archaeologists can apply for permits to undertake studies in Alberta. The results of these studies are also submitted through OPaC. See OPaC user guides on this page.
Newly qualified archaeologists must contact Head, Regulatory Approvals and Information Management to activate the permit-related features of OPaC.
Palaeontological permit application
Qualified palaeontologists can apply for permits to undertake studies in Alberta. The results of these studies are also submitted through OPaC. For more information, contact Head, Resource Management Program, Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology.
Newly qualified palaeontologists must contact Head, Resource Management Program, Royal Tyrrell Museum to activate the permit-related features of OPaC.
Parks/Wildlife research and collection permit
Any person, agency or institution whose work involves wildlife research or collection in Alberta needs a Wildlife Research Permit and Collection Licence. Undertaking science and research in an Alberta Park or Protected Area also requires a permit. Applications for either or both are submitted through OPaC.
- OPaC User Guide Section 1 - Registration and Common Features (PDF, 860 KB)
- OPaC User Guide Section 2 - Applying for Historical Resources Act Clearance (PDF, 715 KB)
- OPaC User Guide Section 3 - Applying for Archaeological Permits and Amendments (PDF, 585 KB)
- OPaC User Guide Section 4 - Submitting an Archaeological Report Summary (PDF, 325 KB)
- OPaC User Guide – Historic Resources Application Fees – Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 43 KB)
To contact the Historic Resources Management branch:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
8820 112 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2P8