Here are the complete, unabridged guidelines to oil sands tenure. They are provided in PDF format for easy viewing.
The principles, procedures and appendices in the chart below (collectively referred to as the guidelines):
- interpret the relevant tenure legislation (statutes and regulations)
- communicate policy with respect to application of the legislation
Application of the Oil Sands Tenure Regulation in specific situations may vary. Implementation and practice of the regulation may change without the guidelines being amended.
Read more about the guidelines at Information Bulletin 2009-11.
- Table of Contents
- Notice/About this Document
- Chapter 1 – A Brief History
- Chapter 2 – Acquiring Oil Sands Rights
- Chapter 3 – Oil Sands Agreements
- Chapter 4 – Evaluating Leases and Permits
- Chapter 5 – Assessing Production
- Chapter 6 – Escalating Rent
The following resources are required for the oil sands tenure process.
Leases and permits
These documents include permits and leases. Here are samples of both:
Non-producing continued leases are subject to payment of escalating rent. Charging additional rent for continued leases that are not being produced serves to promote the development of oil sands resources. Lessees cannot simply hold leases without producing.
When an oil sands lease is subject to escalating rent, the additional rent payment is based upon where the escalating rent area agreement is situated.
See a map of these areas:
- Map of Escalating Rent Areas (PDF, 1 MB)
For help reading this map, use:
- How to Read a Township Map (PDF, 121 KB)
The Alberta Energy Regulator provides a systems and tools collection that includes other maps.
Connect with Oil Sands, Coal and Mineral Operations:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Oil Sands Royalty Project Applications and Compliance email@example.com
Oil Sands Royalty Administration firstname.lastname@example.org
Oil Sands Royalty Information Management email@example.com
Oil Sands Tenure firstname.lastname@example.org
Oil Sands, Coal and Mineral Operations
6th floor, Petroleum Plaza, North Tower
9945 108 Street
Edmonton Alberta T5K 2G6