Acts and regulations
Table 1. Oil sands acts and regulations (available on the Open Government website)
This act governs the management and disposition of rights in Crown-owned minerals. It includes the levying and collecting of bonuses, rental and royalties. (Administration of portions of this act is shared with Alberta Environment and Protected Areas.)
This replaced the Oil Sands Dispute Resolution Regulation, which was repealed on November 30, 2015.
This replaced the Oil Sands Tenure Regulation, 2010, which was repealed on December 1, 2020.
This act establishes regulations and approvals for the development of oil sands resources and related facilities in Alberta. It is administered by the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER).
Under this act, the responsibility for certain enactments was transferred to the Minister of Energy and Minerals.
Section 1(1)(zz) and Section 13
Portions of this regulation apply to oil sands solution gas, administered by the AER.
Alberta's oil sands are the fourth-largest proven crude oil reserves in the world. For potential developers and producers new to the development of oil sands in Alberta, there are regulatory procedures to:
- acquire an agreement from the Crown
- start the development process
The following guide explains the regulatory processes you must follow to ensure responsible development of Alberta’s oil sands: Introduction to Oil Sands Regulatory Processes.
It is important to understand each of the following steps:
- An Electronic Transfer System (ETS) account must be set up to begin extracting Alberta’s oil sands.
- Acquiring an agreement. You must purchase an agreement.
- Alberta Energy Regulator (AER). You must acquire approval from the AER.
- Apply with Alberta Energy and Minerals if you want an oil sands royalty (OSR) project (this is optional). If you apply for an OSR project you must obtain project approval.
- You must comply with the department’s reporting and royalty payment requirements.
Connect with Oil Sands, Coal and Mineral Operations:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Oil Sands Royalty Project Applications and Compliance [email protected]
Oil Sands Royalty Administration [email protected]
Oil Sands Royalty Information Management [email protected]
Oil Sands Tenure [email protected]
Alberta Energy and Minerals
Oil Sands, Coal and Mineral Operations
6th floor, Petroleum Plaza, North Tower
9945 108 Street
Edmonton Alberta T5K 2G6
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.