Learn how you and your family can prepare yourselves for an emergency or disaster.
How municipal government and elections work and how the public can participate in government.
Municipalities are supported through grants like the Municipal Sustainability Initiative and Federal Gas Tax Fund.
Guides, information and legislation on how property assessment works.
Information about new home warranty and residential builder licensing in Alberta.
Codes for a range of safety disciplines are used to keep the public safe in the places they live, work and play.
A plan for jobs and the economy.
Bills 7 and 29 will let municipalities offer new property tax incentives to attract business, boost economic development and revitalize communities.
Fire safety awareness
Protect yourself, your loved ones and your community by understanding fire safety awareness and being prepared at all times.
Local elections survey
We’re gathering feedback from Albertans on aspects of the Local Authorities Election Act, which governs elections for municipalities and school boards. Take the survey.
Incident Command System
The Incident Command System is a standardized training system to help municipalities organize and manage a response to emergencies.
The ministry helps municipalities provide well-managed, collaborative, and accountable local government to Albertans. We also provide:
- funding supports for municipalities
- a system that strives to ensure appropriate safety standards for the construction and maintenance of buildings and equipment
- protections for new home buyers and required licensing for home builders
- province-wide support for access to public library services for Albertans
- a comprehensive approach to managing emergencies in the province through the Alberta Emergency Management Agency
- safety codes, standards, and supports under the Safety Codes Act
- management of about 2.6 million acres of public land in the province's three Special Areas
- independent review and decisions on local matters by our four quasi-judicial boards
- Feb 04, 2020
Government has opened consultation on the rules that govern municipal and school board elections in order to ensure they meet the needs and expectations of Albertans.
- Jan 24, 2020
Alberta will now allow wood-building construction for up to 12 storeys.
- Dec 19, 2019
The government is helping businesses and protecting jobs and communities by reducing assessment on shallow gas properties in 2020.