Service providers can now apply for a licence under the Mental Health Services Protection Act. Learn more.
Residential addiction treatment service providers must meet core standards and be licensed under the Mental Health Services Protection Act as of November 1, 2019.
- requires all residential addiction treatment providers have a licence
- requires service providers have core standards such as policy and procedures for:
- consent to services
- service contracts
- incident prevention and response
- critical incident reporting
- record creation, maintenance and retention
- gives government authority to address complaints and concerns and to amend, suspend or cancel an operating licence
- creates the new College of Counselling Therapy of Alberta under the Health Professions Act to regulate about 5,000 counselling therapists, addiction counsellors and child and youth care counsellors
- protects the use of the professional titles for regulated members of the College of Counselling Therapy of Alberta.
- July 8, 2019 – Residential addiction treatment service providers can apply for a licence.
- November 1, 2019 – Residential addiction treatment services must meet core standards and have a licence to operate. Facilities of licensed service providers will be inspected after this date to ensure compliance with the act.
- The College of Counselling Therapy of Alberta will come into force upon proclamation.
Apply for a licence
Residential addiction treatment service providers can now apply for a licence. Service providers should apply as soon as possible to ensure they have a licence by the November 1, 2019 deadline.
- Read Getting Started: Licensing for Residential Addiction Treatment Service Providers to understand the licensing requirements and the application process.
- Complete the Residential Addiction Treatment Service Provider Licence Application Form to apply for a licence.
- Submit the application form to Alberta Health for review:
Mail: Attention: Compliance and Monitoring Branch, Alberta Health,
P.O. Box 1360, Station Main
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2N3