Adults may need someone to help them make financial decisions or to have financial decisions made for them. As a result:

  • some benefit programs provide informal decision-making options
  • a court order may be required to make financial decisions for an adult

The Public Trustee must be notified when a minor has an interest in money or property and it is required by law.

The Public Trustee may administer an estate if no one is able to do so and there is a beneficiary who is either a:

  • minor
  • represented adult – client of the Public Trustee

Was this page helpful?

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on