The Public Library Services Branch Library Board Basics Workshops are open to all library trustees, library managers and library system staff. They are designed to help participants understand the structure of public library service in Alberta, and how to support the delivery of effective public library service in their communities and regions. In particular, participants will understand:
- Libraries Act and Libraries Regulation and other pertinent legislation.
- The structure of public library service in Alberta.
- Library board roles, responsibilities and relationships.
- Library board trustee roles and responsibilities.
- Other important issues such as finances and board effectiveness.
There is no fee for the workshop. Participants will receive a workbook and other support materials, snacks, and lunch. Other meals, travel, and any required accommodation will be the participant's responsibility.
Here is a list of our upcoming workshops:
- June 1, 2019 – Grimshaw – Completed
- June 8, 2019 – Viking – Completed
- June 15, 2019 – Coaldale – Completed
- September 7, 2019 – Whitecourt – Completed
- September 21, 2019 – Spruce Grove – Completed
- October 19, 2019 – Medicine Hat – Registration
- October 26, 2019 – Fairview - Registration
- November 2, 2019 – Strathmore - Registration
An email will be sent to all public libraries when registration opens, which will be approximately 1 month prior to the workshop date.
Weather in Alberta can make travel dangerous. Public Library Services Branch may use your email address to notify you of a workshop cancellation if travel is unsafe for participants and presenters. Please check the email address you provided the night before the workshop for a possible cancellation notice.
If you have any questions:
Public Library Services Branch
Library Board Basics Workshop
#803, 10405 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4R7
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)