Step 1. Before you apply
Read about how IQAS works
For one applicant
The assessment cost stays the same, regardless of how many credentials you ask IQAS to assess. If you ask for more than one credential to be assessed, it will take at least four weeks longer than average processing times.
- Application fee: $200
- Courier fees: $15 for a Canadian address; $75 for an international address
For more than one applicant
Each applicant must apply separately and pay separate application and courier fees, even if applicants reside at the same household.
An assessment does not guarantee:
- a job
- a successful application for immigration
- a licence to practice your profession
Exceptions for certain professions
If you are applying to immigrate as a Physician or Specialist Physician and intend to get a licence to practice in Canada, your qualifications must be assessed by the Medical Council of Canada.
If you are applying to immigrate as a Pharmacist and intend to get a licence to practice in Canada, your qualifications must be assessed by the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada.
In Canada, some occupations are regulated. Regulated occupations have legal requirements or restrictions in place to protect the public. To work in these occupations, in addition to getting an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA), later you will need to apply to and be assessed by the appropriate professional regulatory organization in the province or territory that you will settle in.
Step 2. Decide on credentials to be assessed
Credentials IQAS can assess
IQAS assesses completed / awarded formal academic and technical educational credentials from recognized institutions.
- An ECA will not be issued if your credentials cannot be authenticated and/or are from an educational institution/program that is not recognized. IQAS will let you know that your application has been cancelled.
- An ECA may not result in an outcome you want for an Express Entry application. Your credentials are compared to Canadian education standards, which can be different from those in the country where you were educated.
Find out about institution recognition.
IQAS does not assess:
- incomplete credentials
- anything below secondary / high school level (for example, primary / elementary level)
- non-academic credentials (for example, Excel training)
- professional qualifications (for example, chartered accountant designation)
- vocational or trades training (for example, diesel mechanics program)
- credentials obtained in Canada
In addition, IQAS does not let you know if your credentials/institution will be recognized, or the results of your assessment before you apply. This can only be determined after you apply and an assessment is completed.
Credentials you need assessed
For an ECA, only your highest completed / awarded educational credential needs to be assessed. If you need more than one credential to be assessed, it will take at least four weeks longer than average processing times. To understand how points are assigned for education and make an informed decision, visit the Government of Canada website. IQAS does not provide any advice on which credentials you should submit for an assessment.
Step 3. Gather your documents
- Do not send original documents unless required
- IQAS is not responsible for original documents that are not required and will not return them if submitted and not required
- IQAS does not return notarized or certified copies of documents or transcripts
Application, checklist and proof of payment
Complete your application online through the IQAS application portal. Be sure to follow the checklist instructions in the portal carefully for uploading supporting documents when submitting your application online.
When completing an online application you will need to upload the following to the IQAS application portal:
- Clear scan or photo of your passport (identity page(s) only)
- Clear scan or photo of proof of name change (if applicable):
- needed only if your current name is different than the name on the educational documents
- can be a photocopy of a marriage certificate, record of landing, passport etc.
- does not need to be a certified true or notarized copy
Degree / diploma / certificate
- For information on providing specific academic documents, review Country-Specific Document Requirements (PDF, 833 KB).
- if your country is listed, provide the documents indicated based on the credential(s) you want assessed
- if your country is not listed, provide the documents as described below
- When completing an online application you will need to upload a clear scan or photo of your degree / diploma / certificate
- this is the document issued after your degree / diploma / certificate was awarded (IQAS does not assess incomplete or unofficial credentials)
- do not send your original degree / diploma / certificates to IQAS
- scanned copies do not need to be certified true or notarized copies
- for Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees, upload a clear scan or photo of the PhD degree and cover page of the thesis
Translations are required for all non-English educational documents:
- this includes translations of the transcripts being sent by the issuing institution
- translations for uploaded documents must be included for those documents that were uploaded
- translations need to be completed by a qualified professional translator who does not need to be certified in Canada
- translations do not need to be certified or notarized
Step 4. Mailing transcripts
- Official transcripts (mark sheets) for all credentials you are asking to be assessed on, should be sent directly to IQAS by the responsible issuing authority. If your issuing authority will not send transcripts directly, you may forward a sealed envelope with the official transcripts you obtained from your school. The transcripts must be attested, dated, and placed in a sealed envelope that is stamped with the institution’s official seal across the back flap.
- do not send a photocopy
- do not upload transcripts in the portal
- do not submit transcripts issued from constituent or affiliated colleges
- final transcripts must be issued by the responsible issuing authority
- you must use the Request of Academic Records Form (PDF, 81 KB) to ask the institution that issued your credential to provide you with transcripts that meet IQAS requirements and you must include your IQAS file number on the form. IQAS may not be able to assess your application if this form (with your file number) is not included with your transcript.
- the file number is generated when you complete the online application and is included in the subject line of the email that will be sent to you with your completed application form
Transcripts of Chinese credentials
If your credentials are from the People’s Republic of China, you must submit verification reports from the China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC). If you do not have a CHESICC verification report, you may submit a previously obtained verification report from the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC) for academic transcripts of post-secondary education and examination results (provincial graduation examination or Gaokao) of secondary education, if they can be authenticated on the CDGDC website.
Step 5. Complete the online application
- Complete and submit the online application using the IQAS application portal. IQAS offers different assessments. Be sure you request the correct assessment and submit the correct fees, as assessments for employment, education and licensure cannot be used to apply for Immigration to Canada.
- Make sure your application is complete. The following documents must be uploaded in the portal:
- the completed academic credentials you want to have assessed
- passport identity page(s) or alternative government-issued identification (if passport is unavailable)
- proof of name change (if applicable)
- translations for all non-English documents you are uploading
- While filling in the online form, you will be asked to pay the application fees.
- Payment options include:
- Visa, MasterCard
- American Express
- You can also mail in a bank draft or money order with your application, but this will delay processing by about 6 weeks.
- Payment options include:
- Do not to use an international P.O. Box number as part of your mailing address, because couriers will not deliver to that type of address.
- After you submit your online application, you will receive:
- an email from IQAS with your file number (you need this number for your Request of Academic Records form) and a final PDF version of your application, and
- an email containing your payment receipt (only if you paid online)
- Print the payment receipt for your records.
If you applied before November 5, 2019, you must ensure that you have printed, signed (in ink) and mailed or couriered IQAS your paper application form. If you applied on or after November 5, 2019, you do not need to print, sign and send your paper application form to IQAS. As of November 5, 2019, applicants sign their form electronically as part of submitting the application.
Do not cancel or reapply, if you applied before November 5, 2019. Cancelling and reapplying will make your processing time longer. Follow the instructions related to your application at the time of submitting your application.
Transcripts must still be mailed/couriered directly to IQAS from your issuing authority.
Step 6. After you apply
If your mailing address is in Canada, IQAS will mail your documents to a Canada Post Office near you. You will receive a Delivery Notice Card from Canada Post letting you know that your package is available for pick up. Canada Post keeps packages for 15 business days. You will need to collect your package on time and show proper identification.
If your mailing address is outside of Canada, your package will be delivered directly to your address.
Making changes to or cancelling your application
To make / request changes to your application, login to the IQAS application portal:
- if you applied before November 26, 2018, login and create a portal account
- if you applied after November 26, 2018, login using your username
If IQAS needs more information
If IQAS needs any additional documents or information, you will be contacted by email, phone or mail.
If IQAS cannot complete your assessment
If IQAS cannot complete the assessment based on documentation submitted, you may be contacted for further information or your application may be cancelled. IQAS will let you know if your application has been cancelled.
Refunds or partial refunds will be issued if an assessment cannot be completed due to insufficient documentation, a finding that the institution is not recognized and/or a finding that the credential(s) submitted cannot be assessed by IQAS.
Refunds are not provided if documents appear to be:
- tampered with
- falsely translated
Request a duplicate certificate
- Duplicate certificates cost $15 per copy, plus a $5 courier fee per mailing address.
- To request an additional copy of your IQAS certificate, login to the IQAS application portal:
- Your ECA is valid for Express Entry purposes for five years from the date it was issued.
Reassessment / appeal process
If you are not satisfied with your assessment, you may send a request for reassessment in writing to the IQAS office.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of reassessment, you can appeal in writing. You will need to pay a $75 appeal fee.
Written requests for reassessment and appeal must be submitted within 1 year of the original date of assessment.
What affects processing time?
- ECA application processing times are affected by a multi-step process.
- Processing time starts when your supporting documents have been delivered to IQAS.
- It may take months before transcripts are sent to IQAS by the issuing authority and this will affect processing time of an application.
- An ECA application with more than one credential will take at least four weeks longer than average processing times.
- Assessment of applications that require extensive research takes longer than the average processing time.
- On average, an assessment takes about 23 weeks to process once all required documents, transcripts and payments are delivered to IQAS. Times are not guaranteed and may change based on the number of applications. IQAS receives a very high volume of applications.
- IQAS does not rush ECA applications. Applications are processed in the order they are received.
- Courier / mail delivery time is not included in the processing time.
Application volume and processing times for Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for Immigration purposes as of November 1, 2019.
|Number of ECA applications with “In line for processing” status||Approximate processing time of applications after all required documents are delivered to the IQAS office|
|Approximately 1,800||23 weeks|
You can track delivery of your mail to IQAS through your courier. It takes several months for IQAS to process mail and send you an email confirming receipt of your items.
Monitor the status of your application in the IQAS application portal:
- if you applied before November 26, 2018, login and create a portal account
- if you applied after November 26, 2018, login here using your username
You will see the following statuses in the portal:
|Status||What it means|
|Submitted||You completed an online application and made online payment|
|Received||Your online application package and sealed original transcripts have been matched (this can take several months)|
|Payment pending||Your money order/bank draft has not been processed (it takes more than 6 weeks to process bank draft or money order) or your online payment was not successful|
|Pending||IQAS is waiting for transcripts/other documents, or delivered transcripts/documents were not processed yet|
|In line for processing||All documents needed to start your assessment have been received and logged by IQAS (this can occur several months after a courier confirmed delivery)|
|Assessing||Your credentials are being assessed|
|On hold||Your assessment cannot be completed until IQAS receives and logs additional documents, confirmation from educational institution etc.|
|Final Review||Your credential has been assessed and is being validated|
|Mailed||Your assessment was mailed to you and an electronic copy is available at the IQAS application portal|
|Cancellation pending||You requested a cancellation and it is waiting to be processed|
|Cancelled||Your application was cancelled following your request or because assessment could not be completed|