International wills

You need a lawyer to create an international will, which may be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee (OPGT).


If you own assets outside Alberta, see a lawyer. They will know if you need an international will – and then register it for you.

Different countries, and even some provinces, have their own standards for what makes a valid will. The list of countries which recognize international wills changes over time.

Register an international will

A lawyer must register an international will. This area of the page is for lawyers only.

Step 1. Fill out the form

International Wills Registration System 

Step 2. Mail the form

International Wills
Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee
4th Floor, Brownlee Building
10365 97 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 3Z8

Do not send us a copy of the will.

Privacy concerns

The record that your lawyer has registered an international will with the OPGT is protected. We can only share it with:

  • you
  • someone you authorize
  • the proper person who should have access when you die

Talk to your lawyer if you have questions or concerns.